Hardwood specialist Danzer released its second Sustainability Report following the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) reporting guidelines. Extensive data from 2015-2016 was collected by the Danzer Sustainability and Compliance Team to give an account of the various Danzer sustainability efforts. The new report is in line with Danzer’s dedication to transparency and continual improvement. A new issue of the report is planned in 2019.
Danzer’s 2015-16 Sustainability Report is titled “Doing Our Part”; Hans-Joachim Danzer, CEO explains the essence of this theme: “Doing Our Part means that Danzer is personally committed to operate business in a way that is responsible for the resources we share with the communities we operate in (i.e. people, air, water, earth). I firmly believe that as more companies adopt public reporting about their community impacts, this transparency will lead to better informed regulation of business.”
Highlights of the report include:
• Resource Saving Technology: In three years, the program for making deck layers for the engineered flooring industry saved more than 1,000 truckloads of logs from becoming saw dust.
• The curve-saw project at Bradford resulted in a decrease in per-unit electricity consumption of 39 %.
• Organization: A new structure to the Sustainability and Compliance Team was introduced at the close of 2016 for implementation in 2017, including the addition of an Environmental Engineer to support the Team.
• Secure Supply Chain: A number of potential suppliers were rejected as a result of due diligence checks.
• In 2015-16, Danzer served approximately 1,800 customers; at the same time, the company had approximately 1,600 suppliers between veneer and lumber products.
• Forest Carbon Storage: Danzer’s global carbon footprint is more than accounted for by forest holdings in the US.
• Employee Welfare: Across Danzer, average employment seniority ranges from 1 to 16 years in production and from 4 to 22 years in salaried positions.
• The total hours of training and education at Danzer locations increased significantly over the Danzer’s targets for the 2018 period.
The first Danzer Sustainability Report was released in 2015 and was shortlisted (second place) for the Best 1st Time Report category in the CR Reporting Awards ’17 competition. It was called, “a credible report mainly because of the degree of transparency.”
The post Danzer declares their Second Sustainability Report appeared first on WoodAndPanel.com.