One of the biggest challenges to any team (personal or professional) is a lack of trust among team members or between the team leader and the members. Here are six Quick Ways to build trust within your team.
- Invest time and energy into listening and understanding. The more you understand others, the deeper the trust is built.
- We trust people who help us discover the truth. Help people recognize the truth, be willing to deal with the discomfort that may arise, and they will trust you.
- Ask good questions and be willing to listen to the answers. If you begin every conversation with something about yourself, you lower your chances of developing trust.
- Learn the values of others and respect those values. By respecting the values of others, you will build trust and allow for a greater influence within the team.
- We trust people who make us think. When Dr. Albert Schweitzer won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1952, he was asked, “What’s wrong with people today?” He replied, “People don’t think.” Today, the only difference is that our fast-paced environment leaves even less time to think.
- We trust people who care. Only those who genuinely care about others will develop the necessary skills to follow these simple guidelines. Those who are willing to invest the time and effort learning and applying these skills will enhance trust, thus enhancing the team concept.