Our latest collection of Jackie Robinson quotes on Everyday Power.
Jack Roosevelt Robinson was an American professional baseball player who became the first black athlete to play Major League Baseball in the 20th century.
Born in Cairo, Georgia in 1919, Robinson grew up in a large, single-parent family. He excelled early at all sports and would go on to break the color barrier when he joined the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947.
Robinson distinguished himself as one of the game’s most talented and exciting players. He was named Rookie of the Year in 1947, National League MVP in 1949 and a World Series champ in 1955. Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962.
Besides professional baseball, Robinson was also a vocal civil rights activist. He helped establish the Freedom National Bank, and was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal and Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Robinson died in 1972 from heart problems and diabetes complications. He will always be remembered for his character, his use of nonviolence, and his unquestionable talent.
Despite coming from a humble background, Robinson learned to make his own way in life. In honor of the man who broke the “color barrier” in modern-era sports, below is our collection of powerful and inspirational Jackie Robinson Quotes.
You might also like these motivational baseball quotes.
Jackie Robinson quotes celebrating civil rights and equality
1. “Many people resented my impatience and honesty, but I never cared about acceptance as much as I cared about respect.” – Jackie Robinson
2. “No matter how much or how little I knew technically, I was able to get the best out of people I worked with.” – Jackie Robinson
3. “Plenty of times I wanted to haul off when somebody insulted me for the color of my skin, but I had to hold to myself. I knew I was kind of an experiment. The whole thing was bigger than me.” – Jackie Robinson
4. “I think if we go back and check our record, the Negro has proven beyond a doubt that we have been more than patient in seeking our rights as American citizens.” – Jackie Robinson
5. “There’s not an American in this country free until every one of us is free.” – Jackie Robinson
6. “The right of every American to first-class citizenship is the most important issue of our time.” – Jackie Robinson
7. “During my life, I have had a few nightmares which happened to me while I was wide awake.” – Jackie Robinson
8. “Life is not a spectator sport. If you’re going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you’re wasting your life.” – Jackie Robinson
9. “It would make everything I worked for meaningless if baseball is integrated but political parties were segregated.” – Jackie Robinson
10. “I don’t let my mouth say nothin’ my head can’t stand.” – Jackie Robinson
Also check out these insightful civil rights quotes striding towards equality.
Jackie Robinson quotes on life, success and equality
11. “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” – Jackie Robinson
12. “The most luxurious possession, the richest treasure anybody has, is his personal dignity.” – Jackie Robinson
13. “If I had been white with the things I did, they never would have allowed me to get out of baseball.” – Jackie Robinson
14. “I don’t like needing anyone for anything.” – Jackie Robinson
15. “Above anything else, I hate to lose.” – Jackie Robinson
16. “I’m grateful for all the breaks and honors and opportunities I’ve had, but I always believe I won’t have it made until the humblest black kid in the most remote backwoods of America has it made.” – Jackie Robinson
17. “I guess you’d call me an independent since I’ve never identified myself with one party or another in politics. I always decide my vote by taking as careful a look as I can at the actual candidates and issues themselves, no matter what the party label.” – Jackie Robinson
18. “But as I write these words now I cannot stand and sing the National Anthem. I have learned that I remain a black in a white world.” – Jackie Robinson
19. “It isn’t a perfect America and it isn’t run right, but it still belongs to us.” ― Jackie Robinson
20. “The way I figured it, I was even with baseball and baseball with me. The game had done much for me, and I had done much for it.”
― Jackie Robinson
Other inspirational Jackie Robinson quotes
21. “I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me… All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.” – Jackie Robinson
22. “Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants you to quit when you’re ahead.” – Jackie Robinson
23. “It kills me to lose. If I’m a troublemaker, and I don’t think that my temper makes me one, then it’s because I can’t stand losing. That’s the way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first.” ― Jackie Robinson
24. “I’ve been riding on cloud nine since the election (HOF), and I don’t think I’ll ever come down. Today, everything is complete.” ― Jackie Robinson
25. “This ain’t fun. But you watch me, I’ll get it done.” ― Jackie Robinson
Which of these Jackie Robinson quotes was your favorite?
Robinson is arguably the most historically significant baseball player. His life and legacy will be remembered as one of the most important in American history.
Fearless, courageous, dynamic, and defiant, Robinson was a tireless campaigner against discrimination as well as a history-making athlete. Hopefully, the above quotes will motivate you to achieve greatness.
Did you enjoy these Jackie Robinson quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
The post Jackie Robinson quotes celebrating civil rights and equality appeared first on Everyday Power.
This post first appeared on Motivational Blog | Inspirational Quotes | Picture, please read the originial post: here