To work out a strategic plan, launch a project or build your team – the best way to go about it, is holding a corporate Retreat. These tasks cannot be completed in a couple of hours; and sitting in the conference room at your office for the whole day, never works out.
When you take time out for a retreat, you are no longer distracted by the daily work tasks, and can concentrate fully on your strategizing.
- Define your Objectives: There should be a solid and specific business purpose for conducting the retreat. A loose or vague reason like strategic planning, is not sufficient reason; think of what is missing, and what is required for your organization, and then Ensure that you can achieve them realistically within the deadline you have set. Decide how long you need to complete each item on the agenda properly, and then add up the hours – you have your total time needed. If this time exceeds the time you actually will get at the retreat, then you need to see where you can cut down the time. Use your goals to also select the participants – there is no point in calling all the employees if the specific goal of the retreat was mainly to do with sales strategies and targets. But if your goal is team-building and enhancing camaraderie, then it makes sense to have everyone present.
- Logistics is important: Though not the most crucial, it is important nonetheless. As event planners with tons of experience, we can assure you that the venue is not all that important – if you have the budget, you can arrange it at a fancy place, or, if the finances are tight, opt for a modest conference hall close by. You don’t have to travel half-way across the country to find an ideal location – staying local works best logistically. Keep in mind however, that wherever you have the retreat, ensure there are some fun activities for the attendees – it will help them de-stress and relax. As far as possible, the activities should be team games – it has a dual advantage of fun, and team building.
- Ensure the Venue has facilities you need: You may think that going away from the hustle and bustle of the city may do wonders for everyone’s concentration, but such a place may not have strong internet connectivity and so on; ensure that conference facilities, good sound and light equipment, internet and Wi-Fi capabilities are all present at the venue before you sign the dotted line.
- Negotiate Prices: Never agree outright to the charges quoted! Negotiate for lower prices, and maybe you can spend that money in some other way, like giving away keepsakes of the retreat to the attendees, or a gala evening.
- Food and Drink: Plan your menu in advance and preferable arrange for all meals to be served buffet style. This way, you won’t waste time with everyone ordering and then waiting for the food to arrive.
- Nominate a Facilitator: Put someone in charge, preferably someone good at handling groups, with oratory skills, and is able to maintain a neutral stance throughout. Usually, this means that the CEO or Manager is NOT a good choice! Hire professionals through expert Corporate Event Organisers in Bangalore, and you won’t have to worry about finding the right person for the job. An outside facilitator will also allow employees to speak openly and without fear – you will have an honest discussion. You could also try bringing someone from another department as the facilitator.
- Use Available Time Well: All attendees should have a clear idea of the goals before the retreat starts. Also plan if you’re going to take the decisions on consensus or majority, whether the department head has the final say, will you brainstorm, and so on, are some points you need to think about. It’s important they have a clear picture on this matter, so they can contribute accordingly. Remember that for an effective retreat, you must ensure that there is sufficient participation from all attendees. Hesitant or introverted people also voice their thoughts – allow written suggestions and provide a judgment-free environment; encourage everyone to express themselves. Make sure that you stay on topic – it’s easy to digress. Once the decisions have been taken, be sure to document your action plan precisely, detailing each step.
Yes, arranging a Corporate Retreat can be a daunting task – after all there are hundreds of tiny details to look into! At White Massif, we have years of experience organizing Corporate events in Bangalore. So you can rest and just concentrate on strategizing, while we handle the nitty-gritties of the retreat. From finding an ideal venue to getting you the right vendors for every aspect, we take all the worry off your hands. No wonder our customers are singing our praises. Call us on +91-990-0141-155 to know more!
This post first appeared on How To Hike Up The Fun Element At Corporate Events, please read the originial post: here