Akshaya Tritiya, also known as Akha Teej – falling on May 9 this year is one of the holiest days of the year for Hindus and Jains, and the date is almost upon us.
Falling in the month of Vaishakha, Akshaya Tritiya is one of the four most important days in the calendar for Hindus and a very auspicious date that celebrates the birthday of Lord Parasurama – the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu the preserver.
Akshaya Tritiya: Significance, Symbolism And Importance
The Hindu calendar is a lunar calendar, and as such is divided into tithis or 1/30 th of a lunar month. Akshaya Tritiya falls on the third tithi or lunar day of Bright Half (Shukla Paksha) of the month of Vaishakha.
- Akshaya means eternal and tritiya means third, signifying the third lunar day .
- Apart from being the birthday of Lord Parusurama, this auspicious date is celebrated by the Hindus for also being the day that Veda Vyas began to write the Mahabharatha – by having the first ever recital in front of Lord Ganesha.
- There is a reference made to Akshaya Tritiya in the Mahabharata – The Pandavas are presented with a Akshaya Patra (vessel) by Krishna on this day. The vessel would never run out of food and provided the Pandavas with the sustenance they needed during their exile.
- Jains celebrate and commemorate the day Tirthankara Rishabhanatha broke his one year long fast by drinking sugarcane juice that was poured into his cupped hands.
- Kubera, the treasurer, is believed to have prayed to the goddess of wealth, Lakshmi, on this day. He was rewarded with perpetual prosperity (Akshaya or eternal) which is why the day is considered so auspicious for any new ventures and beginnings, including the buying of gold and marriage.
- Kulesa, Lord Krishna’s childhood friend is believed to have visited him in Dwarka on this day – offering him a gift of poha (a popular breakfast and snack item in large parts of the country). Kulesa went to seek help for his abject financial situation and was initially ashamed to share his humble gift with Krishna, who forced him to give it anyway. As soon as Krishna tasted the poha, Kulesa’s poverty vanished and he became rich overnight. Vaishanavas (devotees of Lord Vishnu) hence fast on this day and eventually break their fast with poha.
- All in all, the day is considered highly auspicious and people all across the land eagerly await the date to begin new ventures, buy property and to buy gold.
- It is also one of the most auspicious days of the year to get married, and the time of marriage isn’t important on Akshaya Tritiya as the entire day is believed to bring prosperity and luck.
Akshaya Tritiya: The Most Auspicious Date For Weddings
- According to belief the wedding of Goddess Madhura and God Sundaresa (one of the many incarnations of Lord Shiva) took place on this day, and any who follow in their footsteps are blessed with eternal happiness and wealth by the gods themselves.
- The other thing that makes Akshaya Tritiya such an auspicious and important day for weddings across the land is the fact that the sun and the moon are in their radiant phases and in an exalted state, astrologically speaking.
- The combination of the above 2 factors sees an incredible rush amongst couples to get married on Akshaya Tritiya – wedding vendors are often swamped in both work and profit as a result.
It is believed that couples who’s horoscopes are not aligned or are mismatched can erase any and all complications and negative energy surrounding their marriage just by getting married on such an auspicious date.
- One of the most famous weddings that took place on this day is the Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan wedding back in 2007.
- Some states have organized community weddings where a huge mandap sees multiple couples tie the knot on Akshaya Tritya – giving even those with limited financial means the enjoyment of a splendid community wedding.
Purchasing Gold: A Most Auspicious Deed
While many in the business sector often wait for this date (which falls on May 9 this year) to kick start an ambitious business venture, the rest of the community with no such business dealings prefers to purchase gold.
The practice started from the belief that buying gold (a symbol of wealth) on this special day would mean perpetual prosperity as Akshaya means eternal. Hence those in the market for jewelry will make sure to purchase something on this very auspicious date, but for those who don’t have a need for jewelry, gold coins (often with Goddess Lakshmi embossed on them) remain a popular choice.
Property also remains a popular item for purchase on this day – however, this option is not available to most, of course. Many activities of daan (donation) are also practiced by the people on this day – giving milk to the poor is one such practice.
Akshaya Tritiya: Best Deals In The Metros
Most people however, know the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya mainly because of the excellent deals on offer and we have collected some of the best ones for you when it comes to buying gold.
Most of the city’s jewelers will stay true to tradition and offer up discounts up to 22-23 percent so be sure to walk into your local stores to check out the great deals. The standard is usually a 20 percent discount.
Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri (TBZ) is one of the city’s largest jewelers that runs very attractive offers on Akshaya Tritiya in the city.
Gitanjali Gems and Tanishq will be running their discounts on exclusive designs as well.
The city of pearly sees its fair share of jewelry shopping on the auspicious date of Akshaya Tritiya, and the majority of the cities jewelers across Banjara and Jubilee Hills, as well as towards the Old City will have very lucrative discounts on offer.
Kalyan Jewellers, Sri Krishna Jewellers and Joy Allukkas are – among various others – the names to keep an eye out for.
The national capital region also sees all of the big jewelers pull out all the stops when it comes to Akshaya Tritiya discounts. Durga Jewelry Mall, Mehrasons Jewellers, PC Jewellers among many others are the names to look out for.
All of the city’s jewelers are ramping up the discounts for Akshaya Tritiya. The big names are Abaran Jewellers, P.C. Chandra, Jos Alukkas and Davanam Jewellers, although you can safely expect the rest to be running quality discounts as well.
Prince Jewelery, Lalitha Jewelery Mart, Khazana, Sri Kumaran, Jeyachandran Malabar Gold… the list is practically endless. Expect many great discounts here as well as across the various jewelery stores in Chennai on the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya.
The best bets when it comes to getting the best prices on Akshayta Tritiya in Kolkata are Shaw Jewellers, D.K. Basak Jewellers and J.K. Chandra Jewellers.
Of course, great discounts will be offered by many more stores in and around the city.
Dharamraj Jewellers and Anjalee jewellers are staples of the Ahmedabad gold buying circuit. PC Jewelers, Kantilal Shivlal Zaveri, Zaverat among others will be running stellar discounts as well.
All India Great Deals – Online
If getting out of your house and making it all the way to the jewelery store seems like too much of a chore, then you can be sure to log onto your computer or mobile device and check out the great discounts. We have shortlisted some of them below:
1. Augrav: Starting out as a venture to personalize jewellery (Au – Gold, Grav – Engrave), Augrav has quickly become one of the best paces to get the best deals on one of a kind jewellery that you can customize to your liking. They will ship to you anywhere free of cost so be sure to check out their deals come Akshaya Tritiya.
Happy Shopping!SHARE THIS STORY ON FACEBOOK
The post Akshaya Tritiya 2016 Gold Offers: The Best Gold Deals And Offers Across India appeared first on The Bridal Box.
This post first appeared on The Bridal Box - All Your Wedding Needs @ One Place, please read the originial post: here