What I liked:
- The cast: Alicia Vikander is fast becoming one of the most interesting actresses working in Hollywood right now (I’ve seen most of her films in both English and her native language Swedish), Christopher Waltz is just mischievously awesome in everything and Dane DeHaan is also proving to be one to watch. Oh and Judi Dench, well its Judi Dench nothing else needs to be said because she is awesome.
- It’s a period drama! Yes there’s just something so entertaining about a time not to long ago when men wore tights and women wore corsets, and the whole forbidden love storyline looks really quite fun.
- The script is by Sir Tom Stoppard who also wrote Shakespeare in Love, Anna Karenina and Parades End which is encouraging because I thoroughly enjoyed all three! So I expect this script to be just as excellent if not better.
- It looks fun. Most period pieces are really serious or really farcical, but for Tulip Fever the trailer makes the film look like it resides somewhere in the middle which should make for a really entertaining piece of cinema.
- There is art. I loved The Danish Girl (its such a beautifully sad story, And Vikander was exceptional!) and The Girl with a Pearl Earring because of their connection to the art world so hopefully Tulip Fever will be another to add to the list.
What I didn’t like:
- When is the UK getting this film? Nobody knows!
- It’s not exactly original, older man marries young woman in a time where women had to marry for anything but love, soon the young woman falls truly and deeply in love with a young man and chaos ensues. But its a story everyone likes and can be told time and time again with something more to say on the subject each time.
Overall I’m pretty excited to see this film as it looks like a fun look at the romantic entanglement of two young lovers in the Tulip Mania of 17th Century Amsterdam,