last week i went with my hunny boyfie. to Krispy Kreme for the best doughnuts and coffee. a week later i'm still craving for Krispy Kreme. i want another taste of the NY Cheesecake doughnut. (anything cheesecake is my favorite; while cookies-and-cream flavor is always my hunny boyfie's favorite - he got Hershey's Cookies and Kreme.)
i can't wait to go back to Krispy Kreme again. for the meantime i'm checking out the Krispy Kreme website. here are some of their Krispy Kreme fun facts:
* the first Krispy Kreme doughnut was sold in Nashville, Tennesee way back in 1937. the first Krispy Kreme store opened in North Carolina care of Vernon Rudolf.
* Krispy Kreme can be found around the globe in US, UK, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Middle East, Turkey, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea, Japan, and the Philippines.
* the first Krispy Kreme store in the Philippines opened in Bonifacio High Street in 2006. right now there are 11 Krispy Kremes here.
* Krispy Kreme was inspired to open in the Philippines because several Filipinos abroad hand-carried dozens and dozens of Krispy Kreme back to Manila as pasalubong or gifts for their family and loved ones.
* the most famous and best-selling Krispy Kreme doughnut is the "Krispy Kreme Original Glazed." other favorites are the NY Cheesecake, Caramel Kreme Crunch, Glazed Cruller, Glazed Chocolate Cake, Glazed Vanilla Cake, Chocolate Iced Custard Filled, Chocolate Iced Kreme Filled, and Powdred Strawberry Filled. (also include the Reese's Peanut Butter & Kreme).
* Krispy Kreme also makes gourmet doughnuts and limited edition flavors for special occasions. Krispy Kreme Las Vegas also serves "Extreme Doughnuts" - doughnuts with personalized messages, logos, or photos.
* Krispy Kreme Coffees include hot or cold Espressos, Krispy Kreme Chillers, and Fruity Chillers.
* the first doughnuts were Dutch "fried cakes" with nuts in the center. it was the Americans who coined the term "doughnuts," combining "dough" and "nuts". Americans also started doughnuts with fillings of jelly or crushed apples.
* Americans even created the Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburger and Whole Wheat Krispy Kreme doughnuts which are low-calorie hence good for the health.
* there are also healthy baked doughnuts and vegan doughnuts in the US and Europe (these vegan doughnuts don't use animal by-products).
* the first doughnuts didn't have holes in the center; but in 1847, a boy named Hanson Gregory suggested to his mother to put a hole in the middle of his doughnut to make sure that the doughnut is thoroughly cooked.
* Doughnut Day is celebrated on the first Fridays of June in memory of the day the Salvation Army cooked doughnuts for the World War I front line men in 1938. during World War II, doughnuts were also made for a cause by the Doughnut Dollies (Red Cross women) serving fighting soldiers.
* Beyonce Knowles includes Krispy Kreme in her list of favorite comfort foods.
* Madonna, the Queen of Pop, once worked as a doughnut jelly injector.
* there is a popular song that says "you can live on doughnuts and coffee if you're in love."
* doughnuts are now popularly served in weddings ever since it was featured in In Style Weddings.
* the world's tallest wedding cake is made up of 1818 Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnuts.
* Krispy Kreme also advocates living green for the environment. they are promoting the use of eco-friendly reusable bags.
* Krispy Kreme Manila also offers reusable gift tin cans for special occasions.
* the most expensive doughnut sold for $5,100. the proceeds went for the Hurricane Katrina relief cause.
* a huge doughnut made of 90,000 doughnuts was made in Australia for the release of the Simpson's Movie DVD. the doughnuts' icing was pink.