This post is just in time for the weekend (woooo!). There are only a few days until the pools are closed and kids are already starting to head back to school, however, might I remind you, summer isn't 'technically' over until around the end of September!
So, therefore, there's always room to have a delicious summery Cocktail for your next get together. I will forewarn you: this one takes a little elbow grease but I promise it is worth it!
What you'll need:
- Fresh cubed watermelon
- Sliced limes
- Basil leaves
- club soda (I used Schweppes Lemon Lime)
- Gin or vodka (based on your preference)
- Ice Cubes
- Large bowl and wooden spoon
1. In a large bowl place Watermelon cubes and basil leaves and crush/muddle with wooden spoon. You'll need a lot of watermelon for enough 'juice' for a pitcher of cocktails.
2. After you have enough juice for at least 2 cocktails (around 16 oz.) squeeze in half a lime.
3. Pour into cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until chilled.
4. Strain into glasses with ice add 1.5 oz of either vodka or gin
5. Top off with a splash of club soda. I used my favorite, Schweppes Lemon Lime to give it extra flavor. Garnish with watermelon wedge.
This cocktail is super light, not at all sweet, and perfect for a hot afternoon. It would even be great minus the liquor to serve to those who don't drink. Happy sipping!