This Lebanese Rice is a staple Middle Eastern (Arabic) side dish in my home that I make with only three ingredients: rice, vermicelli noodles and olive oil!
2 cups long grain white rice
1/2 cup Vermicelli pasta
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash cinnamon optional
parsley optional, for garnish
1. Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Then transfer it to a bowl, and soak with water for 20 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
2. In a medium non-stick pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the vermicelli pasta and cook, stirring frequently until all the vermicelli is a deep golden brown color. Be careful not to to burn it.
3. Transfer the rice over the cooked vermicelli, and stir to combine and coat the rice with the olive oil. Season with salt and a dash of cinnamon, if desired.
4. Add 4 cups water and bring the mixture to a boil. The water will reduce in the process. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
5. When the rice is fully cooked, remove from the heat and allow the rice to steam for 5 minutes. Then uncover and fluff with a fork.
6. Serve warm with fresh parsley, and toasted nuts, if desired.