Spicer sent a text on May 14th asking the assistant general counsel at Harvard Pilgrim Health and member of the Framingham Board of Health to write a letter of support for her Health Director pick of Monifa Charles. Oh… and it would be really helpful to have the whole board sign the letter for when the City Council either has to approve or deny her Charles to the role.
Its an election year for Spicer and it would look really good for the council to unanimously approve her pick, because Spicer is “running hard in this campaign”. It is all about the optics here.
Overlooked for the job by the Mayor was:
- a Senior Epidemiologist for the CDC
- a local Veterinarian who consults in the Medical Agri Business Sector
- an ED Nurse and EMT
- a Hospital Infection Preventionist
- Lead COVID Epidemiologist with a MD working for the state of NH
- a former FDA inspector, and Doctor of Healthcare Administration, now a Sanitarian for a county public health department.
- a Nursing Supervisor for the Springfield Department of Health and Human Services
We don’t know why Monifa Charles was picked. We guess that the coincidence of Charles and Spicer both being from the neighborhood of Jamaica in NYC may have come into play.
What we do know is that a lot of very qualified people were turned down, and that only two were interviewed, to land us in the spot where we now sit…. Begging for letters in support.