So this post is a little different from the rest. I will be sharing what I did to prepare for a party I threw for my kid with a pirate theme. Pirates are big in the house at the moment and being pregnant gets me feeling creative.
And so I took to Pinterest and went a little overboard (no pun intended) with my DIY props!
I started with this pirate ship.
I originally wanted to make it with cardboard and paint it, but I just didn’t have the space and desire to paint a large ship in my current state. And so instead, the ship was made with Dollar Store foam boards. I used 12 boards and joined them together using hot glue.
I cut the boards using a simple pair of scissors and found a tailor’s tape measure to be the most convenient given its flexibility. I used hollowed-out paper plates to make portholes and stuck on Dollar store rhinestone stickers for rivets. The gold paint used on the portholes and the trim is also from the dollar store (called Spun Gold).
The ship’s mast is made from two wooden dowels purchased at the Home Depot. I joined them together with dollar store rope and used a white plastic tablecloth for the sails. I intended to use cloth but ran out of time finding the appropriate one.
And that’s it! It actually was easier and took a lot less time than I expected!
Next up is this treasure chest.
The chest was made with an empty baby wipes box and it’s the perfect size.
You begin by cutting off three sides of the lid (both of the short flaps and one long flap). Save them all.
Now join together the long flap you had cut off to the long flap still attached to the box with tape so that you have a solid lid (no gaps).
Next take the two short (side flaps) and free hand trace and cut semi circles out of them. This is to build up the sides of the lid (arches) so that it resembles a treasure chest. Join these these to each of the sides of the lid with tape.
Now we will cover the top. I found Bristol board to be best as it soft enough to be rounded over. Measure out your piece of board – I found tailors tape measure to be the best as it’s flexible. The side that will be the front should be the width of your box and the sides attaching to the arches should be the depth of your box. Secure with tape. All done with the construction, now it’s time to paint! I used dollar store brown paint (Cinnamon Brown) for the base and gold (Spun Gold) for the trim. Again I used rhinestone stickers for the rivets look.
The last thing I would like to show you is this treasure map.
I needed to cover a large mirror on the wall and wanted something inexpensive.
I found a roll of kraft paper at the dollar store and some inspiration online to draw and colour in this treasure map. Ripped of the edges by hand to date it. Didn’t have time to carefully burn the edges and so tried to dip them in tea instead. It didn’t really stain the paper, maybe it’s the kraft paper or maybe it was because I forgot I am using only decaf tea now. In any case, it turned out fine for about $2 in cost!
I love that while these were great party props, they are also useful for lots of play and even storage (in the case of the chest) in the future.
Hope you enjoyed today’s post and maybe found some inspiration!