President Trump’s immigration proposal due to go public on Monday leaked to the media yesterday evening. What the administration asks for I think the vast majority of Republicans will support, but what he offers Democrats in return is going to be a hard pill for many to swallow.
Here are some of the highlights from Axios:
- An end to the visa lottery program and chain migration.
- A “$25 billion dollar trust fund for the wall system.”
- “Historic investment in northern border security.”
- “An appropriation for filling personnel deficiencies” in border patrol and at the Department of Homeland Security.
- “Same treatment of illegal aliens, regardless of country of origin.”
- “Closing loopholes in the system that make it almost impossible to deport illegal immigrants,” such as the court backlog or the “catch and release” policy through which immigrants are released while awaiting a hearing.
In return for all that Trump will agree to a pathway to CITIZENSHIP for 1.8 million illegal aliens!
If that’s where we end up after all negotiations have been exhausted is one thing, but to make Amnesty + citizenship for 1.8 million people your starting point doesn’t sound like “Art of the Deal” type negotiating to me. Where is Trump the business genius when you need him?
Democrats likely never dreamed Trump would entertain amnesty for such a large number of people and certainly not with a pathway to citizenship. By showing their cards the White House has all but guaranteed a final deal will include many more demands and an even bigger amnesty.
The other dumb part of this proposal is the $25 billion dollar “trust fund.” Who would be delusional enough to believe a so-called trust fund will ever be used to build an inch of Border wall? The next Congress could simply do away with the fund and not build anything. The White House should instead demand $25 billion in Border Wall appropriations to be spent immediately in 2018 on border wall construction.
The proposal does have some great elements to it. Ending chain migration and the visa lottery would be a massive win for the country. We just need to make sure we’re not getting tricked with smoke and mirrors while giving another massive amnesty.
Predictably, the hard left is already scoffing at the proposal calling it “racist” and a “white supremacy wish list.”
Amnesty plus a pathway for 1.8 million illegals is already so outrageously generous that President Trump should be prepared to simply walk away rather than give any more up. To weaken any of his demands even slightly would simply make the amnesty intolerable for those of us who voted for him.