GW Lisk Co. Inc. (in Clifton Springs, NY, outside of Rochester) is looking for an MDM and Data Governance Manager.
This position reports to the CIO or the IT Director (with “dotted line” reporting to the CEO, VPs of Supply Chain, Operations, Engineering and to the CFO, as members of the Data Governance Steering Committee).
This a full-time position, dedicated 50% to MDM and data governance, and 50% to implementation of the company’s Infor Siteline system.
Master Data Management (MDM) is a set of disciplines, processes and technologies for ensuring the accuracy, completeness, timeliness and consistency of multiple domains of enterprise master data – across applications, systems and databases, across multiple business processes, functional areas, organizations, geographies and channels.
Data Governance is the formal orchestration of people, processes, and technology to enable an organization to leverage data as an enterprise asset.
The MDM and Data Governance Manager will be 50% dedicated to this new role.
This position coordinates data governance best practices and works independently across business units and IT to align data governance and business strategies. The MDM and Data Governance Manager is authorized by the Steering Committee to be ultimately responsible for implementing the MDM and data governance vision, promoting the role of data governance and enforcing policy.
The MDM and Data Governance Manager will build partnerships with IT and work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure the creation and successful implementation of global MDM strategies and data policies and procedures. The Manager will manage the core data governance and broader DG team, as well as managing GW Lisk Co Inc’s overall data governance program to ensure the highest quality data is delivered via an enterprise-wide data governance strategy that improves process efficiency, increases profitability and facilitates better compliance and risk management.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Oversee GW Lisk Co Inc’s MDM and data governance programs to improve the company’s data quality and data consistency, and ultimately to improve production systems and realize process efficiencies. Core responsibilities include:
- The overall MDM and data governance organization includes an Executive Steering Committee, the Data Governance office itself, and the enterprise-wide data stewardship community, which has hands on responsibility for everyday creation and maintenance of master data. The MDM and Data Governance Manager will plan, set the agenda, and facilitate the Executive Steering Committee meetings. The DGL will lead the Data Governance Office and have accountability to the Steering Committee for its success. The MDM and Data Governance Manager and the Data Governance Office will coordinate the activities of the broader Data Stewardship community.
- Establish appropriate success metrics for the MDM and Data Governance Manager position itself, the Data Governance Office and enterprise data quality at large, including management of the planning, development & implementation of appropriate tools to monitor and report on key data measures, and then monitor and report on those metrics to the Executive Steering Committee. This assumes that the MDM and Data Governance Manager and the Data Governance Office have the explicit delegated authority to enforce data governance and quality policies throughout the enterprise.
- Lead the process of creating and (redefining when needed) the MDM and Data Governance strategy in order to align with GW Lisk Co Inc’s corporate strategies and initiatives.
- Develop strategies to ensure data integrity and interoperability across enterprise systems, in order to minimize the need for customized data handling between systems, applications, and business processes.
- Coordinate the efforts of the business and technology communities with regard to MDM and data governance.
- Create and update MDM, data governance and data quality standards, policies, procedures, principles and processes through an equal partnership of business and technology, and then communicate, educate and influence company resources accordingly. Work closely with cross-functional teams in order to ensure successful implementation of and adherence to these policies. These policies should be taken into account when designing workflow development and business rules.
- Propose and manage ongoing MDM and data governance program spend, including the budget for the Data Governance Office.
- Work cross-functionally and globally with functional area owners and IT resources to prioritize and resolve MDM, data governance and data quality issues. Provide an escalation path and take unresolved issues to the Steering Committee.
- Take a pragmatic, evolutionary approach to master data design and maintenance that is able to adapt to the changing needs of GW Lisk Co Inc’s business. Keep up to date on industry best practices, inject them into the company, and manage GW Lisk Co Inc’s efforts to ensure master data and reference data is maintained according to those best practices.
- Program and Project Management: manage and support the Data Governance Office projects as both an individual contributor and as a team leader. Facilitate the enforcement of Data Governance policies and procedures, as related to individual projects within the program. Meet with technology and business groups to understand and document project requirements and review for completeness & accuracy with regard to Data Governance. Create and execute UAT Test Plans, Test Scripts, and Test Cases to ensure that all requirements are thoroughly tested by the appropriate work group. Track and manage changes back to baseline requirements.
Experience, Skills, Qualifications
- Proven ability to define, establish and operate a robust MDM and data governance program that helps to streamline data architecture, sustain data quality, and maintain a metadata program across an organization.
- Proven ability to build an MDM strategy and a data governance framework, tailoring it to the needs of the company, and to facilitate organizational and behavioral change as it relates to leveraging and using data.
- Previous experience monitoring MDM, metadata and data quality initiatives to establish synergies for data governance-related projects, including identifying and documenting:
- Master data rules of engagement and uses
- Business intelligence, data warehouse integration, and impact
- Metadata content and flows
- Data quality requirements and standards to prevent problems and establish adherence with regulations
- Working closely with IT to identify and document data security requirements.
- Demonstrated experience defining, selecting, implementing and maintaining relevant master data management and data quality tool(s) to detect and correct data quality issues, manage inventory and maintain all metadata, and design processes for sustaining master data programs.
- Prior experience executing data cleansing plans developed with the business and participating in triage and root cause analyses of data quality issues.
- Thorough knowledge of data quality, data governance and master data management practices and principles.
- Track record of success utilizing data analyses and data quality tools Experience in database development and administration and relational databases.
- Thorough experience with MS Office, including: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Access & Visio, and Windows OS experience.
- Demonstrated track record of success with organizing, planning and completing project management deliverables, coupled with a proven ability to prepare and present concise, accurate documents and reports with attention to effective presentations, business writing and grammar.
- Proven track record of success leading teams and working as a team member: understanding personal and team roles; contributing to a positive working environment by building solid relationships with team members; proactively seeking guidance, clarification and feedback; and providing guidance, clarification and feedback to less experienced team members.
- Demonstrated thorough experience prioritizing and managing multiple tasks.
Personal Characteristics and Leadership Style
- Recognized leadership abilities and ability to manage in a matrix environment are critical.
- A strong work ethic and sense of personal accountability, as well as a “the buck stops here” attitude are also very important.
- The position requires a strong demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, across many different teams, organizations and cross-functional groups.
- Proven experience coordinating with relevant team members (i.e. Data Governance Specialist, Chief Data Stewards, Data Stewards, subject matter experts and business analysts, etc.) to create service level agreements (defining data management capabilities from the business’ perspective) and defining metrics (micro & macro level), scorecards and trending reports.
- Proven ability to establish and/or provide on a consistent basis timely analysis and publication of metrics, scorecards and trending reports, as well as to develop recommendations for improvement opportunities based on metrics, scorecards and trending reports.
- Minimum seven years experience, with a Bachelors Degree in Information Systems or related discipline such as Business, Engineering, or Finance.
- A minimum of 3–5 years experience in data management, change control and configuration management with prior experience in a leadership role. Must have strong communications skills for interacting with all levels within the organization. Comfortable working closely with IT staff in the design and optimization of data, transformation, and control of data attributes and objects that span enterprise applications.
- A strong results orientation and ability to get things done in a corporate environment is important.
- Ability to keep potential customer impacts in mind and minimize them, having a strong customer service orientation (both internally and externally) and strong problem solving skills are critical.
To apply, please contact:
Dina S. Stuck, SPHR
Director Human Resources
G.W. Lisk Company, Inc.
Filed under: Best Practices, Data Governance, Data Quality, Master Data Management, MDM, Strategy Tagged: Best Practices, data governance, Data Quality, featured, Master Data Management, MDM, Strategy