Apple's HomePod Mini has been available for just two weeks, but it's already having technical issues. Many users have reported that their HomePod cannot connect to Wi-Fi which is an issue for a wireless speaker.
As reported by 9 to 5 Macs, customers have been rushing to Apple support threads to report issues with their HomePod minis. Everyone seems to have a similar problem: When asked a question, HomePod mini responds with "I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet."
Users have tried multiple fixes including restarting, resetting, and restoring factory settings on their HomePods but are still experiencing the issue. Some have reported that the Homepod was working fine, only to experience the issue again after about a day. As of yet, there is no patch from Apple.
What Apple suggests
Apple has some general suggestions for resolving issues with its HomePod devices. Try them first if you are having this Wi-Fi connection issue:
- Make sure HomePod is plugged into power and it's turned on. Tap the top of HomePod. If volume controls appear, HomePod is active.
- Look for alerts in the Home app. If HomePod is having issues, a notification in the Home app should provide more details.
- Check your Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi issues can occur if the Wi-Fi password has changed or if HomePod has been moved to a new location. HomePod will automatically connect to the same network as your iOS device. If not, you can manually change the Wi-Fi network in the Home app on your iOS device. Go to the Home app> press and hold HomePod> settings> Move HomePod to [select Wi-Fi network].
- Restart HomePod. Open the Home app. Long press HomePod> Settings> Reset HomePod> Restart HomePod.
- Remove HomePod from the Home app. Reset HomePod by removing it from the Home app and setting it up again. Open the Home app on a device with the same Apple ID that was used to set up HomePod. Press and hold HomePod> Settings> Remove accessory. Go through the setup process.
- Try a manual reset. To manually reset HomePod, unplug it, then plug it back in. Then press and hold the top of HomePod. The rotating white light should turn red. Continue to hold until three beeps are heard.