Add and verify your website on the Search Console.
Now open the console for your added property (In my case - http://rahulja.in)
First thing you need to to is add sitemap of your website. It is generally an
sitemap.xmlin your website root folder.
- Add url to your sitemap.
sitemap.xmlfile every time I build my website.
- Go to
Next check and edit your
robots.txtfile. This is a file at the root of your site that indicates those parts of your site you don’t want accessed by search engine crawlers.
- Edit your robots.txt and check for errors.
# Allow crawling of all content User-agent: * Disallow: /tag/*
Disallowallows us to ignore certain urls and url types that we'd rather not be indexed and appear in search results.
- Go to
Fetch as Googleto see how google renders pages from your website. Check different types of URLs for both mobile and desktop googlebot types.
Add google analytics property to your website if you've added analytics on your website. Do this by clicking on Settings gear on the top right and selecting
Google Analytics Property.
If your website has some structured data like articles or products, you can highlight them to google for better search results.
Data Highlighter. Click on the red
- Enter the URL of a typical page that you want to highlight. Like link to an article, product etc.
- Start following the instructions and highlight as much data as you can find on the page. Make google learn pattern in your posts, so that it can auto highlight new pages that gets added to the index.
- Go to
- Take the Intro to Webmaster Academy course. It’ll be helpful in getting you started.
- If you’ve added any structured data in you website, you can use the Structured Data Testing Tool to validate and view it.
- Use PageSpeed Insights to find out how to make your web pages fast on all devices.
Learn about sitemaps - Search Console Help
Learn about robots.txt files - Search Console Help
Use Fetch as Google for websites - Search Console Help