Check out our short but sweet collection of random facts to learn something new today. Enjoy and don't forget to spread the word!
1. There is a star just 50 light years away from Earth, which has a pure diamond core of 10 billion trillion trillion carats.
2. Donkeys kill more people each year than plane crashes.
3. The first bomb dropped on Germany in World War II, killed only an elephant in the Berlin Zoo.
4. In 1911, pigtails were banned in China because they were seen as a link with its feudal past.
5. When anaesthetic was employed for the first time during childbirth in 1847, the mother was so surprised at how painless the birth was that she named her child Anaesthesia.
6. During the battle of Stalingrad, a local railway station changed hands from Soviet to German control and back again fifteen times in 6 hours.
7. Napolean Bonaparte was just one inch shorter than today's average French men. He stood at 5'6.5'', while the average height of today's French men is 5'7.5''.
8. Out of all the 3,500 years of civilization, there have been only 230 years of peace.
9. In 1598, potatoes were banned in Britain by Queen Elizabeth. The ban lasted for 100 years.
10. Nobody knows who invented a fire hydrant. The patent was burnt in a fire.
11. Google was originally named 'BackRub'. It was because of its algorithm based on site's backlinks for ranking in search results.
12. The first Google storage was made from Lego. The Google guys needed an easily expandable, and cheap way to house ten 4GB hard drives, and LEGO was the answer.
|Google's Lego Storage|
|2Chainz graduated with CGPA of 4.0|
|Headless Chicken Miracle Mike|
16. Leonardo Da Vinci could write with one hand and paint with the other, at the same time.
17. Modern humans appeared more than 200,000 years ago but record keeping started only 6000 years ago. This means more than 97% of human history is lost.
18. If you eat a polar bear's liver you will die. Humans cannot digest too much vitamin A.
19. Only Asians have black hair. All the other people that have black hair are actually dark brown.
20. Anatidaephobia is a fear that somewhere in the world, a duck is watching you.
21. The longest movie made is 85 hours long. It is titled, "The cure for insomnia".
22. When the Mount Everest was first measured at exactly 29,000 ft. The surveyors thought that no one will believe them. So, they added an extra 2 ft making it 29,002 ft.
23. There is a man who holds a record for holding the most world records. Ashrita Furman set this record by having 120 Guinness World Records to his name.
24. King Tutankhamun's penis was mummified erect -- that's one of the several weird, unexplained details about the best-known pharaoh of ancient Egypt.
25. Kopi Luwak is the world's most expensive coffee at $600 per pound. Believe it or not, it's the beans excreted by a Sumatran wild cat.
27. Before, a black bear eats so much that its weight gains 30 pounds per week.
28. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.
29. The skin of a female shark is much thicker than the males. This is to protect the female when the male bites it during mating.
30. Crows will crush an ant and rub it all over themselves like perfume. The Formic Acid in the ants helps ward off parasites. This is called Anting.
31. The smallest adult bicycle ever created had wheels made from silver dollars.
32. Lance Armstrong, one of the greatest professional road racing cyclists, has a heart that is one-third larger than normal. Now you know from where all that stamina comes from.
33. The manchineel tree is so poisonous that the water dripping from its leaves could burn your skin.
34. 1 out of 8 Americans have worked at McDonald's.
35. Only 11% of the world's population is left-handed.
36. There are about 7 octillion atoms in the human body. That is, 7 followed by 27 zeros (7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).
37. The brain consumes as much power as a 10-watt bulb.
38. Blondes have more hair than others. Blondes have an average 146,000 follicles while people with black hair tend to have about 110,000 follicles. 39. Women's heart beat faster than men's.
40. In a lifetime, you'll make enough saliva to fill two olympic size swimming pools. Imagine swimming in your own saliva...
41. Comparing weights, a human baby is stronger than an ox.
42. Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg suffers from red-green colorblindness and sees the color blue best, which is why blue dominates Facebook's color scheme.
43. Adding a number 4 at the end of Facebook URL (http://www.facebook.com/4), automatically takes you to Mark Zuckerberg's wall.
44. There is a man named Michel Lotito holds the dubious record of eating an entire airplane. Dubbed as Monsieur Mangetout meaning 'Mr. Eat it all', suffered from an unusual medical condition named Pica which causes unusual cravings.
45. During First World War, British soldiers used semen as invisible ink.
46. From 1912 to 1948, painting was an olympic event.
47. Russian scientists in the 1920s conducted experiments where they tried to make a “humanzee”, a hybrid between a human and chimpanzee. The experiments obviously failed.
48. On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
49. If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
50. Elvis Presley was naturally blond. His familiar black hair are the product of dye.
This post first appeared on Odd And Strange - World Of Odd Stuff, Fun Facts An, please read the originial post: here