Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

The Dining Room Built-In: Endless Prep Work

In the last post I mentioned all the sanding that had been done, and all the sanding I still had to do.  Well, the sanding is done!  However, the tedious stuff is still not done - now comes all the prep work...caulking, priming and re-priming.  Before I could start caulking though, I had to soften the sharp edges of the all the wood.  Here's a shot pre-caulk...
After a good cleaning, I got started on the caulking.  For most people this would probably take no time at all, but I'd say I spent a good 5 or 6 hours caulking!  But when it was done, the whole project began to look like something!  Here's my favorite post-caulk picture:
I love how it's starting to look like a real piece and not just a bunch of boards glued and nailed together!  I'm giving the whole built-in two coats of primer because there's a few knots here and there and I hate bleed-through!  When I did the dining room table and the hutch, I used Zinsser's Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer.  It worked pretty good so I figure I'll stick with what works.  Here's just a piece primed:
 And the whole fireplace surround primed:
There's still a long way to go, but I'm still just taking my time!


This post first appeared on 173 Our Old House, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

The Dining Room Built-In: Endless Prep Work

×

Subscribe to 173 Our Old House

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription

×