Whether you are a homeowner looking to renovate your property or a home buyer considering a house with a cabana, here are some things you should know before getting a backyard cabana.
Backyard cabanas are becoming widely popular in Australia and other parts of the world. They’re functional, they’re stylish, and everyone seems to be getting one. Read on to find out just what these Backyard cabanas are and just why you need one too.
What is a Backyard Cabana?
For many people, what comes to mind when they hear the word cabana is a cozy cabin at a poolside on a beautiful, tropical resort. A backyard cabana is quite similar to that delightful scene – only it can be found in your backyard.
Below are some of the most popular uses of a backyard cabana.
- Guest house. As mentioned above, a backyard cabana may be considered an extension of your house. Thus, if you feel like there is not enough room in your house to welcome guests, the cabana can serve this purpose. Decorate it with cozy bedroom furniture, and you have an extra room for visiting relatives or children’s classmates who want to sleepover. At your house, but not IN your house. Aah. Perfect.
- Backyard Retreat. Man Cave. She Shed. If you haven’t heard these before this year, where have you been? 2015 became the year of epic backyard escapes, and we can see why. With your own little space in the backyard, dedicated entirely to you, the opportunities are endless. Use it for hobbies, activities, catching up with friends, alfresco wining & dining, watching TV, or even catching up on your favourite book – your backyard cabana is the perfect space to escape the everyday, and enjoy your well-earned ‘me time’.
- Clubhouse/Pool Cabana. If you already have an outdoor pool in your backyard, partner it with a cabana and create your own private clubhouse with recreational amenities. Put up some pool lounges, a billiards table, a small kitchen and dining area, and a shower room, and viola! You have just brought a resort right to the comfort of your own home.
- Art/Music Studio. Peace and comfort. The two key ingredients to any piece of art or music. Spoil yourself with your very own dedicated studio in the backyard. Secure, watertight and insulated, it’s the perfect place to store your weaponry (that special paintbrush? Marker set? Guitar? Saxophone?), and also the perfect place to work your magic. If you have a small business or ABN, you can even claim the cabana as a business expense…. aha! Tax Savings on the horizon!
- Pet’s house. A backyard cabana can also serve as a home for your pets, such as cats or dogs. If you have pets at home and don’t want them to live with you in your main property, you may want to build them a house of their own, where they can sleep and be fed in.
- Outdoor storage. One of the most popular functions of a backyard cabana is as an outdoor storage room. Bulky and heavy outdoor equipment such as gardening tools, sports gears, and machinery can very well be kept inside a cabana, and eliminate the unsightly look of tools and accessories scattered in your backyard. Neat, organised and secure.
- Children’s play area. While the backyard can already serve as the playground for children, you may want to install another play area that is enclosed and safe for them. Add a splash of paint and some funky soft furnishings, and you’ve created the perfect play area where they’ll be happy to spend hours, exercising their little imaginations.
A backyard cabana is an enclosed structure typically built in the backyard of your property to serve a specific purpose, such as a guest house or an outdoor storage. It is an extension of your house outdoors but is usually not connected to the main property. Following the architecture of a small, simple house, it comes with one or more locking doors, windows, walls, ceiling, and roof.
Major Uses of a Backyard Cabana
How you use your backyard cabana is really only limited by your imagination. Think of it as a secure, enclosed space which you can adapt to suit any purpose.
Making the Right Decision
There are several things you need to consider in planning to install a cabana in your backyard such as space, budget, and objective.
Remember that a backyard cabana is like a small house, with a roof, walls, and sometimes, a porch. You are not just adding a cabana to your property – you are adding lasting value that will serve you for years to come
Additionally, setting up a backyard cabana will require you to hire professionals and shell out some cash. You will need to spare some budget, not only for the materials, but for labor and design, as well. The cost of cabanas varies according to size, complexity, design, and finishing materials.
Finally, you have to identify your objective of having a cabana. Do you need it because you have a lot of guests visiting you every now and then and you want to offer your home? Do you have pets and you want them to have their own home? Do you have lots of gardening tools or sports equipment that could not fit in your indoor storage at home? These are just some of the questions you need to answer and justify to be able to come up with the right decision for having a cabana.
Got any questions? Feel free to give us a call on 1300 MELWOOD (1300635966). Our friendly team will be happy to help you out!
If you live in or around Sydney, we’d love to see you at one of our display centres!
North Sydney: 312 Falcon St Neutral Bay NSW 2089 | Open 12 pm – 4 pm, 7 days
Western Sydney: 38 Amax Avenue GIrraween NSW 2145 | Open 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday
Download brochure/pricelist here
View our stunning gallery here
The post Do I Need a Backyard Cabana? appeared first on Melwood.