The term Shabby Chic was first used in the 80’s in The World of Interiors Magazine, giving rise to the popularity of the movement. With its origins in England, the Shabby Chic style draws inspiration from English Country homes while also featuring elements of other styles, including: Vintage, Victorian and French Provincial. For more information, also have a read our previous post on Decorating your Home in the Shabby Chic Style!
KEY STYLE ELEMENTS:
- Colour schemes employed in creating a shabby chic style involve light, soft and pastel colours. Whites, Soft greys, Candy Pinks or Minty Greens all work well in achieving a Shabby Chic style in your home. Pair these colours with use of playful patterns to further enhance the look.
- Timber is a dominant feature of shabby chic styled spaces, whether it is in its natural state, white-washed, distressed or painted over. The following examples each present at least one example of timber being used in a Shabby Chic space in a different way.
- Use floral accents to create pattern and movement in the space. You could display a bouquet of fresh/faux flowers, use floral fabrics in your choices of soft furnishings, art work or even wallpaper!
- Shabby Chic interiors feature a unique combination of old and new; a sense of vintage charm is prevalent in this English style!
- Shabby Chic interiors do also often incorporate luxurious elements such as chandeliers, Victorian era furniture or fittings and glamorous accessories.
- Create a sense of “lived in” charm with rustic or distressed styled furniture and fabrics.
- Shabby Chic interiors are also heavily influenced by French Provincial styles; Shabby Chic simply takes a more casual approach to styling and combines more rustic vintage glamour into the scheme!
- DIY furniture is a must! Make sure to make a funky item to include in your new Shabby Chic style interior!
Do you have any of your own Shabby Chic styling tips to share? Tell us in the comments below!
Tagged: Home Decorating Ideas, Home Design, how to decorate your home in shabby chic style, Shabby Chic, shabby chic home decorating, shabby chic interiors, shabby chic style guide