Are you a fan of the Memory Foam Mattress feel? Or maybe you’ve never tried it? Well now you can. Say hello to Amerisleep’s brand new AS3 mattress. The AS3, formerly known as the Liberty, is Amerisleep’s medium memory foam mattress designed to meet the needs of a vast majority of sleepers. Recently, Amerisleep revamped their entire mattress line and this week we decided to check out their new AS3 mattress.
Did Amerisleep make improvements with the AS3 (Liberty) mattress? Continue reading below to find out!
Short on time? Click here to jump on down to the review summary.
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress is an all foam mattress made from 3 separate layers, totaling 12″ in height.
- Top layer – 3″ of memory foam. The top layer of this mattress is designed to provide the initial comfort, cooling, and pressure relief for the sleeper.
- Second layer – 2″ of polyurethane foam. This layer acts as the transitional support layer from the softer top layer of memory foam to the firmer layer of base foam. This layer also helps the top layer to respond much quicker. Convoluted channels help manage the airflow in and out of the mattress.
- Bottom layer – 7″ of base foam. This bottom layer acts as the foundational base for the mattress in addition to providing a level of deep compression support for heavier sleepers.
The cover of the Amerisleep AS3 mattress is built from a blend of Celliant, spandex, and polyester. The combination of these materials makes for a soft, breathable, and tightly wrapped cover containing a good degree of elasticity.
Additionally, the use of Cellinat in the cover is an added bonus. Celliant is a fiber that helps improve oxygenation and blood flow while also helping regulate body temperatures. Celliant’s ability to use natural energy created by the body is a major benefit for most sleepers.
With regards to aesthetics, the AS3 mattress is simple, but well done. The blue and white color combination is different than most online retailers today and the addition of small blue diamonds along the white piece of fabric creates a sleek, yet subtly textured finish. A zipper also lines the perimeter of the mattress, following the line at which the white top half transitions into the blue lower half.
Firmness, Feel, & Support
|Firmness: 5 out of 10||Type: Memory Foam||Cooling: Good||Motion: Low|
|Contour: Pronounced Hug||Response: Slow||Sinkage: 2.5-3.25"||Bounce: Low|
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress strikes a medium, 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm.
The firmness of the AS3 is a touch firmer than the Liberty was, at least initially. However, I would expect it to soften up slightly as it breaks in, perhaps down to a 5 out of 10 firmness.
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress had no issues supporting me in every position. Spinal alignment felt consistent throughout each potion I moved into throughout my sleep test. Although I am primarily a stomach sleeper, sleeping on my back and sides was not an issue due to the balanced levels of sinkage and hug offered by the AS3.
Compared to the Liberty (original name for the AS3 mattress), the support of the AS3 is a touch better, in my opinion. When sleep testing the Liberty, there was a point at which I felt as if I could not sleep on my stomach. This was largely in part to the medium feel (5 out of 10 on the firmness scale) and deeper sinkage. The combination of these two attributes created an awkward angle around my lower back.
That said, this was not an issue while sleep testing the AS3 mattress. The slightly firmer feel of the AS3 allowed me to sleep on my stomach and receive the same level of support that I received on my back and sides.
|Small - 150 lbs or less||Great||Good|
|Average - 151-225 lbs||Great||Okay|
|Large - 226-300 lbs||Great||Okay|
|Very Large - 301-375||Good||Okay|
Hug & Contour
The hug and contour of the Amerisleep AS3 mattress is pronounced and sharp. That said, it is not overwhelming by any means. As a medium mattress, most sleepers are going to experience a slightly deeper level of sinkage. This deeper sinkage leads to a more pronounced hug around your body. With this hug comes a sharp bodily contour. Therefore, the memory foam is able to take the shape of a sleeper’s body quite easily on this mattress.
The sinkage associated with the AS3 is also a bit delayed. The mattress allowed me to sink for a few seconds before hitting the deepest point, as opposed to jumping into bed and sinking to the deepest point immediately.
Lighter sleepers may find that their lighter limbs (arms, lower legs) may not sink as easily. The core / heavier portions of the body are able to sink into the mattress without much pressure, but the lighter areas will not sink as much. While sleeping on your side, the sinkage is well balanced, allowing all areas to receive some degree of sinkage.
All mattress reviews on Sleepopolis go through a short series of sinkage tests. These tests are designed to provide you with insight on how the mattress will perform under various conditions, pressures, and positions.
- Lying on back – While lying on my back with all of my weight spread evenly across the mattress, I saw 2.5″ of sinkage.
- Lying on side – While lying on my side, I saw 3.25″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (conservative) – While sitting slightly back from the edge of the mattress, I saw 4.25″ of sinkage.
- Sitting on the edge (aggressive) – In a more aggressive sitting position with all of my weight directly on the edge, I saw 5.25″ of sinkage.
- Standing in the middle – With all of my weight standing at one point on the mattress, I saw 5.25″ of sinkage.
Keep in mind, sinkage results may vary based on body weight and body type. As mentioned above, I weigh 140 pounds.
Response, Bounce, & Motion Transfer
The response time of this mattress was a bit quicker than expected. Although the AS3 is constructed with a memory foam comfort layer, the transitional poly foam and poly foam base layer certainly helped improve the response time of the memory foam top layer. After applying all of my weight to the mattress at a few points on the mattress, I was seeing an average response time of 2.5-3 seconds.
The cover is able to snap back into place without much hesitation, but the foams below do lag behind. That said, the response time of this mattress is not dramatically slow by any means. I would say it is even slightly above average for most foam mattresses.
Bounce on the AS3 was quite low. The memory foam top layer was absorbing most of the downward energy and slowly pushing it back up. This low bounce was expected due to the memory foam construction and medium feel.
Motion transfer was an area where the Amerisleep AS3 mattress excelled. Energy created on one side of the mattress was quickly absorbed and dissipated before making its way to the other side of the mattress. Neither my wife or I were able to disturb the other by getting in and out of bed during the night.
The graph below visualizes data from my accelerometer driven motion transfer tests. For these tests I drop a medicine ball from three different heights, 6″, 18″, and 24″, on one side of the mattress and place an electronic accelerometer on the other side. This helps to measure and visualize the subtle differences in motion and energy transfer.
Cooling on the AS3 is certainly above average for a foam mattress. Throughout my sleep test I did not experience any warm or hot spots. The convoluted transition poly foam layer, open cell memory foam, and Celliant infused thin cover all help to maintain a cooler sleeping surface.
That said, there is potential for some sleepers to have a warmer sleeping experience than I did. Both heavier sleepers and naturally warm sleepers could have the potential to sleep warm on this Amerisleep mattress. Even so, among all of the memory foam mattresses I’ve tested Amerisleep is definitely among the leaders with respect to maintaining a comfortable sleeping surface temperature.
- Height – 12″
- Shipping – Free, compressed in a box, arrives in 5-7 days
- Mattress Weight – 95 pounds (Queen size)
- Smell – Minor, lasted 1-2 days
- Trial – 100 days
- Returns – Full refunds available within trial period
- Warranty – 20 years
- Manufacturing – Made in the USA
- Discounts – use this link to save $50 extra off, combines with other discounts
Who should buy the Amerisleep AS3 mattress?
I would recommend the Amerisleep AS3 mattress to sleepers who:
- You want a medium mattress – The Amerisleep AS3 mattress comes in at a 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, where 10 is the most firm.
- You want a memory foam mattress – As a memory foam mattress, the AS3 is going to have a pronounced level of sinkage, a sharper contour, slower response times, low bounce, low motion transfer, and good pressure relief. You will want to be sure you’re a fan of these traits before moving forward with the AS3.
- You want a sharper contour – Once again, the memory foam design creates a sharper contour around your body. The softer layer of memory foam on top allows most of your body to sink in immediately, allowing the mattress to take your body’s shape.
- You like the idea of a Celliant cover – Celliant is a fiber that has been clinically tested and proven to improve blood flow and oxygenation. Sleepers who struggle with aches and pains could find the Celliant cover beneficial. Athletes may also find that the Celliant cover reduces recovery time.
For more information or to buy the Amerisleep AS3 mattress, check out Amerisleep.com.
The post Amerisleep AS3 Mattress Review appeared first on Sleepopolis.
This post first appeared on Sleepopolis - Mattress Reviews, Independent & Unbi, please read the originial post: here