This green tea and cocoa Butter Body Balm is the next level in our DIY body products here on Kiku Corner. Meinhilde and I loved our other body balms and decided that we should branch out. Here, we experimented with different moisturizing ingredients.
This green tea and Cocoa Butter Body balm uses a different recipe than the previous body products featured here on Kiku Corner. We used a combination of cocoa butter, grapeseed oil, and coconut oil to make a more complex balm.
Body balm is like a butter for your skin. It is soft and spreadable at room temperature, but not liquidy like a lotion. I store it in a little jar and use my finger tips to scoop up the balm. For this recipe, I used three small 125ml mason jars, but you can also save glass jars from other food items. I kept the packaging simple, using only small scraps from Meinhilde’s cloth stash, held together with an elastic band. I recommend labelling your products, either with a permanent marker directly in the glass or the metal lid, or sticking on a paper label.
We purchased our products from a local wholesale company that does some retail sales, but you can also find most of these ingredients in your local health food store.
I’ve enjoyed the addition of cocoa butter in my body products. The version we bought comes in what looks like white broken bricks. Or huge chunks of white chocolate. It also has the faintest smell of chocolate, which makes sense given cocoa butter is a major ingredient in chocolate.
Green Tea and Cocoa Butter Body Balm
- three sterilized glass jars (125 mL / 0.5 cup each) with lids
- one heat-safe glass measuring cup (at least 500 mL / 2 cup capacity)
- one large pot
- one metal rack, like the kind used for canning
- one sterilized spoon
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter, 125 mL
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, 125 mL
- 1/8 cup beeswax, 30 mL
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, 60 mL
- 5-10 drops green tea infusion fragrance oil
- If the beeswax is in a block, grate it over a bowl until there are two tablespoons. If it is really cold, microwave the block for 20 seconds to make it easier to grate. Make sure to watch the microwave because it can burn very quickly
- Add metal rack to pot. Add approximately 2 cm / 1 in water and bring to a simmer.
- Add beeswax, butters, and oils (except essential oil) to glass measuring cup.
- Set measuring cup on rack in pot with simmering water and leave for approximately 10 minutes or until beeswax has melted. Mix with spoon.
- Pour melted mixture into sterilized glass jars.
- Add 5-10 drops of essential oil and mix with spoon. Allow mixture to cool.
Check out our other home spa recipes here.
The post DIY: Make Your Own Green Tea & Cocoa Butter Body Balm appeared first on Kiku Corner.