I made this Black Forest Trifle for our family’s Christmas Eve dessert. A few years ago I made another trifle, but our mom said it wasn’t boozy enough. So this time, I used a LOT of rum! This recipe needs a round of day-old chocolate cake, either one from a mix, a one-bowl chocolate cake, or a six-minute chocolate cake. Day-old cake is best, as it is a bit dried out and will then absorb more rum!
- 3 cups (750 mL) heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 plain chocolate cake
- ¾ cup dark rum
- 1 jar sour cherries in juice, drained
- 1 9-inch round chocolate meringue
- 2 Tbsp chocolate shavings
- In a large bowl, whip the cream with sugar and vanilla.
- In a large serving bowl, layer thin slices of chocolate cake. Drizzle a few tablespoons of rum over the cake.
- Sprinkle some cherries over the cake, then spread a dollop of cream over the cherries. Continue layering these ingredients to fill up the serving dish. Top it off with cream.
- Crumble the chocolate meringue and arrange around the top of the trifle.
- Sprinkle the trifle with chocolate shavings.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
The post Schwarzwälder Kirsch Trifle – Black Forest Trifle appeared first on Kiku Corner.