What’s in season?
I continue my Valentines-Day-inspired theme with red rhubarb. It’s crunchy, tart and is usually cooked into something sweet. I was craving something healthier and on the savory side, so I decided to use it raw in a slaw! It was great with Salmon.
What’s so good?
- Salmon is supposed to be one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Our brains are at least 60 percent fat and most of that is the omega-3 fatty acid DHA – eating salmon regularly has been linked to preventing depression and supporting cognitive functions.
- Rhubarb is rich in vitamins A and K that contribute to eye and brain health. These vitamins are fat-soluble, this is why I’m serving this slaw with fatty salmon and a yogurt-based dressing.
(makes more for future use, store in the fridge):
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp whole grain mustard (optional)
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
A dash of hot pepper (cayenne, peri peri, etc.) to taste
*I’ve recently learnt that it’s best to use turmeric together with black pepper, since the latter contains piperine, a compound which allows higher levels of turmeric compounds to remain in the body thus increasing the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of turmeric.
Add all the ingredients to a bowl or a food processor, stir or grind well to combine. Taste and add more honey if you prefer a sweeter dressing, or more cayenne for heat.
Salmon and Rhubarb-Radish Slaw
- 1 salmon fillet
- Oil, salt, pepper
- 3-4-in fresh rhubarb stalk
- 2-3 radishes
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh greens of your choice (spicy is best, think arugula or watercress)
- 1 Tbsp mustard-turmeric dressing
1. Preheat oven to 365F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Season salmon with salt and pepper, and bake until it's cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
2. Cut rhubarb and radishes into matchsticks, add to a small bowl with greens and dressing, and toss to coat. Keep cool until ready to eat.
3. Serve hot salmon with cold slaw, enjoy!
The post Salmon and Rhubarb-Radish Slaw appeared first on Lublyou.