Last year, I provided a Corn Sausage Dressing recipe. This year, the recipe is a little more vegetarian as it does not include meat, except for the chicken broth in the canned soup of course. This one takes a little more work than the last recipe, however it is more traditional southern fare for the holidays. We use yellow summer Squash or crookneck squashes in this recipe. We have never substituted other versions of summer squash. However, if you are limited to the types of squash you can get, you may want to try.
Squash Dressing Recipe
1 package (6 oz) cornbread mix, prepared and baked as directed
2 cups milk
2 pounds yellow squash
¼ cup water
½ Cup Chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons margarine
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook squash in water in covered saucepan until tender. Drain and mash.
3. Crumble cornbread into milk. Set aside.
4. Sauté’ celery and onion in margarine, until tender.
5. Add pepper, soup, poultry seasoning, and squash.
6. Stir in cornbread mixture.
7. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish. Bake 1 hour or until set.