Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>


Quilters find inspiration anywhere! I believe this completely. I also believe that they can 'store' inspiration in their brains for accessing at a later date.

I think it was a couple of years back when I first saw the photos of the Agitagueda - a monsoon festival in Portugal where they cover the street with colourful umbrellas.

Photo credit : Avax News

It stayed in my mind for years! When on my recent trip to Bangalore, my friend Bilqis gifted me a bunch of her hand dyed fabrics, my mind kept on going back to this picture (not exactly this picture, but a similar one that I had seen some years back)

Thats when the design for this quilt started taking shape in my mind.

Here is my completed Agitagueda

This quilt took the longest to Free Motion Quilt! It took me 2 hours to complete the quilt top, but 2 weeks to finish the FMQ.

I love the small details of the quilt.

Quilt stats :

Name : Agitagueda

Size : 25" x 19"

Material Used :

Fabric : Bella Solid Black for background, Assorted Hand dyes for applique and backing
Thread : Aurifil 28 wt in assorted colours for quilting. Aurifil 50 wt in the bobbin
Others : Pellon 805 (Wonder Under) for applique, Cotton Batting (high loft)

Appliqued and Quilted on my Bernina 710 using the BSR.

Technique used : Raw Edge Applique

Experience : Meditative, since I was doing the same design basically over and over! It took a lot of patience!

I normally use the same weight thread both on the top and in the bobbin, but for this quilt I used 28 wt Aurifil in the top and 50 wt in the bobbin. I had absolutely no issues with the quilting. I just reduced my tension when I was working so that the bottom thread did not show on the top.

I used Pellon 805 for fusing and a basting spray for basting. That has made the quilt all 'gummy' and i had to change needles multiple times during this project. I first used the Bernina Quilting Needle, but that kept on breaking. I then switched to the Bernina Stretch Needle and completed last 3/4th of the project without any issues. I just remembered to clean the machine every time I changed the thread colour, so that it wont 'gum up'

This post first appeared on 13 Woodhouse Road, please read the originial post: here

Share the post



Subscribe to 13 Woodhouse Road

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription