Randy Mosher, author of several top beer Brewing books joins me to talk about hop biotransformations that occur during active fermentation as well as New England IPAs.
Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:36)
- Today my guest is Randy Mosher. Randy is the author of several of my favorite home brewing books including Mastering Homebrew, Radical Brewing and Tasting Beer (Amazon affiliate links). He’s also a partner at Five Rabbit and Forbidden Root breweries in Chicago and instructor at the Siebel Institute. His web site is RandyMosher.com.
- We start with a short discussion of Randy’s recent trips.
- He introduces the New England IPA style and we talk about why it is so controversial (and hated) for some brewers.
- Randy describes the taste and sensory analysis for a NE IPA.
- We talk about what makes NE IPA different from traditional IPAs.
- Randy provides the grain bill he uses as well as how to mash it.
- We get into an interesting discussion on the use of hops during active fermentation and biotransformations that are possible.
- He describes how some hop oils can react and change during active fermentation and how that alters the flavor.
- We discuss yeast selection and fermentation for a New England IPA.
- He shares his thoughts on dry hopping for this style as well as haze.
- Randy shares his closing thoughts.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Randy Mosher for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.