Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (42:38)
- Today my guest is Mitch Steele, author of the book IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale (Amazon affiliate link). Mitch is also the former brewmaster at Stone brewing and is in the middle of launching a new brewery called New Realm Brewing Co in Atlanta, Georgia.
- We spend a few minutes updating everyone on some of the projects Mitch has been working on since leaving Stone.
- Mitch gives us his thoughts on the current state of craft beer IPAs which now dominate craft brewing in the US – in many cases making up 50% or more of the volume for many craft breweries.
- Mitch discusses some of the new IPA styles – starting with the controversial cloudy Northeast IPA style.
- We discuss Session IPAs which Mitch defines as a low alcohol IPA, and some of the challenges with balancing a session IPA.
- Mitch shares his thoughts on fruited IPAs including some of the better fruits to use, and how to balance these beers.
- We talk about triple IPAs including the popular Pliny the Younger from Russian River.
- Brad brings up the topic of turning every beer into an IPA – which has happened at some West coast breweries now.
- Mitch tells us why IPAs have a short shelf life and the importance of cold storage and expiration dates.
- We finish by talking about New Realm Brewing Co – the new brewery Mitch is opening this fall in Atlanta.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Mitch Steele for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.