Most people care about the way their home looks. The problem is that most people do not want to spend a lot of time or money dealing with this. The result is that many people have not redecorated in years. It has been estimated that a full 47% of people in the United States have not done anything to update their home’s look in at least five years. People say that the furnishings in their homes make them stressed out an depressed. The good news is that there are some cost effective ways to make your home look great, aside from going to the local Discount Furniture Store.
- Paint your front door. One of the first things people notice when they come to your home is the front door. You can make your home look a lot cheerier when you paint the door a fun, bright color. While you are at it, if you have an older screen door on your front door, think about getting rid of that. You can get a decent storm door that will improve the look of your front door and your home.
- Brighten your home with natural light. How old are your curtains? If you have older, darker drapes, you amy want to update them or just ditch them all together. Unadorned windows will let a lot of bright sunshine in. That is good for your mood and the look of your home. When you are looking for new window coverings, try to for for those with a simple and elegant look. Now people are looking to use lighter fabrics for their window dressings.
- Make sure you living room furniture is arranged to encourage conversations. It is possible to arrange your home furniture so that your space is more inviting for people to visit and talk to each other. You should look at the way you have set up your dining room furniture and even outdoor furniture sets to make sure the space is welcoming. Whether you have gone to a discount furniture store or not, the way you place your items can make your home welcoming or not. One thing that people do that prevents their guests from interacting is to line the walls with everything. Try to avoid this.
- Look to neutral and bright colors. When you are picking the colors for your walls, get brighter and more neutral colors. This is especially key on the first floor of your home. Neutral colors can give you more flexibility and will allow you to have more leeway when it comes to placing your art work, accents and other items around your home. If you have a smaller space, lighter and brighter colors can make it feel bigger.
- Hang some mirrors. Mirrors lighten and brighten your rooms. This is good for smaller spaces but is not a bad idea for the larger rooms and homes. Mirrors look great over a fireplace or hanging on the wall. When you place the in spaces that are perpendicular to the windows, you can create a fun and bright space for your home.
- Get art that fits your space. It can be easy to get pieces of art that are just too large or too small for your space. You should make an effort to scale it to fit the wall where you hang it and take care to put it at the right height. A lot of people tend to hang their pieces of art too high up on the wall.
- Think about adding layers to your lighting. There are a few things your lighting should do for you. You need some ambient lighting that should come from fixtures that are higher up or on your ceiling. Then you have lighting that help with reading and is from other lamps. The last kind is called accent lighting and can be from decorative lamps, from the discount furniture store, that you have throughout the space.
You do not have to get new Furniture to update the look of your home. You can buy a few pieces from the discount furniture store but there are other things you can do to change the look of your home.