As part of my "Blogging Full-time, My Dream Job" series, I thought about how as a business owner, we must have a purpose. A "why" we do what we do. It can take the form of a mission or vision statement and typically be part of your business plan.
Sometimes, though I have to remind myself of why I want to do this type of business especially on days where I'm struggling creatively or monetarily. But, I didn't want to go and read my formal business plan. I wanted a reminder that looks more like I'm having a casual conversation with a friend so that's why I decided to make it a blog post and list 35 reasons why I blog. Now, I can go back and re-read this post any time I need to. And, hopefully my list will also inspire you with whatever industry or job you do. So, here we go:
- I've always loved to write. I started out early writing poetry and then short stories, even comic books and finally my autobiography. Blogging is the ultimate way to share my thoughts and dreams.
- Creating is fun. This is more than a tagline for me, it really is fun for me to create content, paintings, fabric, even a poem.
- I like the independence. I did the 9 to 5 deal for many, many years and I found out that kind of job is not for me.
- I get to share thoughts that God gives me.
- Helping people has always been fulfilling to me.
- I like to share my experiences because maybe they will help another person avoid some of the pitfalls I went through starting a business.
- I've gotten to connect with other bloggers and share in their struggles and victories.
- Blogging puts you in touch with people you might not ordinarily meet in person.
- It builds a community of supporters that reach out and encourages each other.
- Allows me the opportunity to work with brands that I admire and shop from.
- My blog is my safe place to have a creative outlet.
- Love having a place to share what crafts I'm making.
- It's a constant learning process and it feels good to keep my mind busy.
- Allows me to have an online shop that helps support running the blog and make special announcements or news.
- It opens up new opportunities for collaboration.
- It doesn't feel like a job to blog.
- I've always loved technology and blogging allows me to mix it with art.
- My blog is my extended voice to encourage and enlighten readers.
- Allows me to connect with readers through comments.
- Blogging is a formidable means to bring change to a confused world.
- It's an avenue to introduce new a product line.
- Allows others to support me (an independent creator) through affiliate links.
- Gives me a platform to share my faith and love for my savior Jesus Christ.
- I have a way to encourage and bring hope to others who are depressed and searching for meaning to life.
- Blogging gives me a way to assess how my life has and is changing by re-reading posts.
- It's like having my whole life documented for myself and family.
- Marketing the blog is easier with automation so that I can reach out without spending hours in front of the PC.
- I enjoy making new connections with people.
- Some of my best friends have come through blogging.
- When new ideas come up, my first thought is how to share it on my blog.
- Blogging allows me to brand myself and what I do.
- Blogging is an excellent way to pick up work or new clients/customers.
- Blogging is a great networking tool if you're looking for new opportunities, (ex., job)
- Great outreach tool that can meet another person's need or want, (ex., free giveaways)
- At the end of the day, doing what you love is a reward of its own.
Life is so short and I think it's important to find what you love to do and then work hard at it. I've had jobs that I didn't like for years and the day that I was able to walk away from them was a relief. Working from home for my day job now affords me many perks, but it's still a job for someone else and not myself.
Being truly on my own, even when I'm able to devote a day to it is so gratifying and the more I do it, the more I want to do it full time. Thanks for coming along on this journey with me. I hope you get to do what you love for a living whether it's blogging or owning your own hot dog stand and selling on a street corner. If it's what you love to do, you'll be good at it and you'll be fulfilled.