Yesterday I showed you how to turn a modern disappearing nine patch block into the outside section of a tote bag made from Banyan Batiks Intaglio fabric.
Now I’m ready to do the finishing touches!
- Trim and square up the outside edges.
- Sew the 2 short ends, right sides together, to form a tube.
- Sew across the bottom, right sides together, with a ½” seam.
- Follow the diagram below to make the bottom corners of the bag.
- Using a fabric marker, mark a line 1½” down from the top edge. This will be the fold line.
- Cut 2 handles from 1″ webbing. My handles were cut 30″ long, but you can make yours longer or shorter if you wish.
- Pin handles to the outside of the front and back of the bag, across the top, spacing them as desired.
- Following the diagram below, stitch the handles in place.
- Turn bag so the wrong side is out.
Make the lining
- Measure all around the outside of the bag and cut a piece of Banyan Batiks Intaglio or Shadows fabric the same size plus ¼” seam allowance.
- Sew the side seam of the lining.
- Place the lining inside the quilted piece so right sides are together.
- Stitch across top edges of lining and quilted piece.
- Turn the bag right side out.
- Fold down the top quilted edge on the 1½” marked line at the top. From the inside, top-stitch along the seam line to secure bag and lining together.
- Adjust lining so it fits inside the bag. You may have to trim some extra fabric from the bottom.
- Sew bottom seam of lining by folding raw edges to the inside and top-stitching in place
- Make corners in lining fabric the same as you did for the bag.
Now, who would have thought this stylish tote bag made from Banyan Batiks Intaglio fabric started out as a simple nine patch block!
Come back tomorrow and learn how to make a table runner from 2 modern disappearing nine-patch blocks!
This is part 4 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 3: Making a Quilted Tote Bag using a modern disappearing 9 patch
The post Banyan Batiks Intaglio fabric is perfect for this quilted tote bag appeared first on QUILTsocial.