Yesterday I showed you how to make curvy, Strip-pieced blocks using fabric from the Banyan Batiks Island Vibes collection in the Palm Bay colorway.
In this post, I’m adding sashing and borders to finish up this little quilt. Let’s get started!
- From the sashing fabric cut 10 – 1½” x WOF (approximately 20″)
- Re-cut to make 28 – 1½” x 6″ strips.
- From cornerstone fabric cut 24 – 1½” squares. I used blue scraps from our first 2 projects this week.
- Sew sashing strips to the 5 rows of blocks. Note: When working with narrow strips, you might find it better to finger-press these strips as you go along, rather than use an iron. Sometimes ironing can distort these small pieces.
- Press seams toward sashing.
- Sew 4 cornerstone squares and 3 sashing strips together.
- Make 5 more sashing/cornerstone strips like this for a total of 6 sashing strips.
- Sew the sashing/cornerstone strips to the rows of blocks.
Now it’s time to press the quilt top!
- Press gently from the wrong side. I prefer not to use steam because it can distort the fabric. Turn the quilt top over and do a final pressing from the right side.
- From border fabric, cut strips 5″ x WOF (approximately 44″).
- Measure the sides of your quilt – it should be 34″. If it isn’t, you can adjust the size you cut the borders.
- Cut 2 of the border strips so they measure 5″ x 34″.
- Sew a border strip to each side. Press seams toward border.
- Measure the top and bottom of your quilt – it should be 30″. If it isn’t, you can adjust the size you cut the borders.
- Cut the remaining 2 border strips so they measure 5″ x 30″.
- Sew a border strip to the top and bottom. Press seams toward border.
- Now this little quilt is finished and ready for quilting.
The backing can be any of the fabrics from the Banyan Batiks Island Vibes collection. You’ll need 1⅓ yards or 1.2 m.
For binding, I like to cut strips 3″ wide for a ½” finished binding. If you have a favorite width you like to use for binding, just go ahead and use that.
You can read about my favorite way to make and sew on the binding in this previous QUILTsocial post, Change the way you make your quilt binding.
Come back tomorrow and I’ll show you some other great quilts designed using the Banyan Batiks ‘Island Vibes’ fabrics from Northcott, for sheer inspiration!
This is part 4 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 3: Curved strip-piecing using Island Vibes fabric creates a sweet baby quilt
The post Finishing a baby quilt with sashing makes it sweeter! appeared first on QUILTsocial.