Take time over the holidays to savor all of the special moments with family and celebrate each day leading up to Christmas with a fun Holiday countdown decor project. With this project, you can use and admire some beautiful Northcott Holiday Collections and Shimmering Dekor Metallic, SULKY and Gütermann threads.
Mini Holiday Countdown Stockings
Get into the festive spirit with this project. Fill these mini stockings with goodies each day to decorate and celebrate the holidays with all of your family members for years to come.
(makes 24 mini stockings)
- 8 Christmas cotton prints, used in this project Northcott Holiday Collections: Swedish Christmas and Sugar and Spice, cut 6” x width of fabric
- 8 pieces of batting, used Fairfield Quilter’s 80/20 Quilt Batting in this project, cut 6” x 44”
- 8 pieces of lining, fabric used ColorWorks White from Northcott Fabric in this project, cut 6” x width of fabric
- Cut 6 strips 2¼″ x width of fabric and subcut into 4½″ lengths of fabric for cuffs (48 needed) (set aside) used ColorWorks White from Northcott Fabric
- Cut 3 strips 1½″ x width of fabric and sub cut into 5” lengths for hanging loops (white used)
Download the free mini stocking pattern (front and back) and numbers here
machine embroidery thread assortment, used in this project
- SULKY Holoshimmer Silver
- Gütermann Dekor Metallic #41
- SULKY Metalic Christmas Red
- SULKY Sliver Xmas Green
- Gütermann Dekor Rayon Variegated Foliage
- Gütermann Dekor Rayon Tutti Frutti
- Schmetz Metallic Machine Needles
- Duo Tip Fabric Markers
- UNIQUE SEWING Wash Out Marker- blue
- free motion or walking foot
- thread to match for quilting and assembly
- hot iron (cotton setting)
- medium sized Christmas coloredUNIQUE Medium Rick Rack for hanging stockings
- Make quilt sandwiches from all 8 Christmas prints used: Northcott Holiday Collections, Swedish Christmas and Sugar and Spice facing up and then Fairfield Quilter’s 80/20 Quilt Batting and lining, pin or spray baste and quilt using the method of your choice.
- Using the free pattern download for the mini stockings, cut out 3 fronts and 3 backs from all of 8 fabric sandwiches for 24 stockings.
- Make 5” x 1½″ hanging loops by folding them in half along the length and pressing both raw edges towards the folded mark in the center, fold again, press and top stitch (set aside).
- Find the center of 24 of the front cuff pieces by marking with the UNIQUE SEWING Wash-out Marker in blue, ⅛″ from top center on the 4½″ width.
- Using the Duo Tip Fabric Markers (red used) and the downloaded numbers pattern, trace them onto the 24 cuffs, ½″ from the top edge, press to heat seal the dye in the marker. This will take about 15 seconds on cotton setting. This step is important as the heat will make the dye color fast. This is a fantastic way to achieve an appliqued number effect without the cutting and fusing involved in applique.
- Fold the opposite side of the cuff under ¼″ and press. See above photo, the edge below the numbers and back cuff (bottom) is pressed under.
- For the front and back of the stocking, lay the cuff right side down on the top of the wrong side (lining) side of the stocking (front piece with the number centered) and sew ¼″ along the top edge of the stocking, flip to the front side and press.
- Make a decorative stitch using Gütermann and SULKY decorative threads and Schmetz Metallic needles along the ¼″ folded edge of the front to secure it to the stocking.
- Top stitch the back cuff approximately ⅛″ from the folded edge.
- Adhere the loops folded in half to the back of the stocking on the right side ¼″ from the top (loop facing into stocking). Refer to photo.
- Place the finished stocking pieces (front and back) right sides together, pin and stitch sides using a ¼″ seam allowance.
- Clip curves and turn to the right side through the cuff opening.
- Press the stockings.
- Hang them on UNIQUE medium rick rack on your mantle or wall and stuff them with goodies. Rick rack looks so fun, is strong and prevents the stockings from slipping as the curves of it hug your stocking loops.
- Admire your Holiday Countdown Mini Stockings!
Please feel free to comment and share your mini stocking projects below.
Join me tomorrow when I talk about a simple travel tote with easy zipper insertions, quilting, and pockets. This tote may just be the handiest gift you have ever made!
This is part 3 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 2: 2 fabulous felt projects to make your holidays sew much easier
Go to part 4: Simple Essentials Travel Tote is sew easy to make for gifting
The post Mini Holiday Countdown Stockings are sew easy to make appeared first on QUILTsocial.