The batik boho Cushion Cover is almost ready to enjoy! In yesterday’s post we assembled the rows to make the front of the cushion and quilted it. Today the back panels will be made and sewn to the front to complete the cushion cover.
I chose a boldly designed iKat Sketch print for the top back panel and used the remaining portion of the Shibori print used on the front of the cushion for the bottom back panel.
Preparing the back panels
1. Cut the back top panel to 20½” x 17½”; here I used the iKat Sketch print with a bold zigzag. I used a fat quarter which required me to place the zigzag pattern in the direction you can see. If you’re starting with a larger piece of fabric you can choose to change the direction of the print.
2. Cut the back bottom panel to 20½” x 7½”; I used the leftover of the Shibori print.
3. Along one long edge of each of these panels make a hem; I simply pressed ¼” of fabric over to the wrong side and then another ¼” and sewed using thread that blends in with the fabric colors.
Assembling the cushion
1. Lay your cushion parts on top of each other in this order on your pinning
- Place the cushion front, right side UP.
- Put the back top panel, right side DOWN with the non-hemmed edge lined up with the top edge of the cushion front.
- Line up the back bottom panel, right side DOWN, with the non-hemmed edge lined up with the bottom edge of the cushion front: the hemmed edge will lay over top of the top back panel hemmed edge.
2. Pin all the way around the outside of the cushion cover: be sure to pin at
the sides where all three layers overlap.
3. Sew ¼” all the way around the edges of the cushion cover.
4. Check to make sure you have sewn through all the layers.
5. Serge or zigzag stitch to finish seams.
Turn the cushion right side out through the back opening and enjoy!
I really enjoyed sharing these beautiful Banyan Batik fabrics with you. The iKat Sketch line should be in your local quilt shop now – just in time to enjoy for spring!
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: Piecing and quilting the batik boho inspired quilted cushion cover
The post Bold Banyan Batik prints make a statement on the back of the cushion cover appeared first on QUILTsocial.