UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (UPSC): An Introduction
UPSC is a constitutionally established recruiting body of public servants in officer cadre to various departments in the country. Established in the year 1926 as “FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION”, it was renamed Union Public Service Commission on 26th Jan 1950. Since then, the commission has served as an elite recruiting body responsible for employing officers for various services including the prestigious UPSC Civil services exam and Army (NDA).
The article is centered on the UPSC Civil services Preliminary exam for IAS/IFS officers.
Suggested Read: Relive the journey of America’s 16th President Abraham Lincoln.
|Name of Exam||UPSC IAS Examination, 2017|
|Date of Notification||22/02/2017|
|Notified vacancies||980 (including IAS, IFS, IPS & other Group “ A” & “B” services in Various departments)|
|Education Qualification||Bachelor Degree in any discipline|
|Location of the job||Throughout country|
|Salary scale||Not specified in notification|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Last date for application||17/03/2017 up to 1800 Hrs ( 6 PM)|
List of Contents
- Number of Vacancies.
- Medium of Examination.
- Type of Examination.
- Date of Examination.
- Eligibility Criteria.
- Application Fee.
- Photograph/Signature Specifications.
- How to Apply?
- Admit Card.
- Examination Pattern.
- Important Dates.
- Important Links.
Number of vacancies
The Civil services 2017 exam will be conducted for filling 980 vacancies for the post of IAS/IFS and other Group ‘A’ and ‘B’ officers.
Medium of Examination
Hindi and English will serve as the language medium for Upsc Ias Preliminary exam.
However, in the case of UPSC IAS Main exam, the candidate can choose any of the languages out of the 23 scheduled languages listed in the constitution of India.
Type of Examination
The UPSC IAS exam is a Pen/Paper based test i.e. candidates have to report their answers through an OMR sheet.
Date of Examination
The date of Examination for UPSC IAS Exam 2017 (Prelim.) is 18th June 2017.
Also Read: See the list of top 50 engineering colleges in India.
UPSC IAS Preliminary exam Syllabus
Paper – 1
- Current affairs and current events of international and national importance.
- General science
- General issues on Climate Change, Environmental Ecology, and Biodiversity (It don’t require subject specialization )
- Indian National Movement and History of India.
- World and Indian Geography- It contains Rights Issues, Physical Geography of India and the world, Economic Geography of India and the world, Social Geography of India and the world.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Public Policy, Political System, Panchayati Raj, etc.
- Social Development and Economic– It contains Social Sector initiatives, Sustainable Development, Inclusion, Demographics, and Poverty etc.
Paper – 2
- Problem-solving and Decision-making
- General mental ability
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level), Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level Analytical ability and Logical reasoning.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Nationality: For IAS and IPS, the applicant must be an Indian National. However, for other services, an applicant must either be:
- An Indian National.
- A subject of Bhutan or Nepal.
- A Tibetan refugee, who came to India before 1st Jan 1962,
- A person of Indian Origin who has migrated from Pak, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATION: Aspirant must be in possession of a degree in any discipline from a recognized university in India.
- AGE LIMIT: Applicant should be at least 21 years of age on or before 31st August 2017. However, he/she must not exceed the upper limit of 32 years on 31st August 2017.
Age relaxations will be given as follows as per category.
|SC/ST/ J & K residents in between 1st Jan 1980 to 31st Dec 1989.||5 years|
|Defense service personals disabled during hostilities||Up to 3 years|
|Orthopedically disabled/ Hearing Impairment/ Blind||Up to 10 years.|
|Ex-serviceman including commissioned officer/ECO/SSCOs who have served the military for 5 years as on 1st August 2017 and released or their service period has been extended and are eligible to apply for civil employment||Up to 5 years|
- Number of Attempts: A general category candidate has a total of 6 attempts (9 attempts for OBC-NCL/General PH) to appear for UPSC IAS exam.
No limits have been laid for SC/ST category candidates. Also, in the case of Physically Handicapped students, the limit is laid as per their respective primary category.
- Already serving Candidates: Candidates currently serving as an IAS/IFS officer to Govt. of India are not eligible to appear for the UPSC IAS exam.
UPSC IAS Exam Application Fee
The application fee for UPSC IAS exam 2017 will be Rs. 100 for General and OBC category students. However, no application fee is applicable in the case of Female/SC/ST/PH students.
The application fee can be paid by either of the following mediums:
- Cash payment at SBI branches.
- Net Banking of State bank group only.
- Credit Card/Debit Card.
Signature and Photograph Specifications
- File Format: JPG only.
- File Size: 3 Kb – 40Kb.
- Dimensions: 110 pixels (width) – 140 pixels (height).
- File Format: JPG only.
- File Size: 1 Kb – 40Kb.
- Dimensions: 140 pixels (width) – 110 pixels (height).
How to Apply?
UPSC IAS exam application is a completely ONLINE process. No offline forms are available for the same.
The application portal for the UPSC IAS exam went online on 22nd February 2017 and will remain open until 17th March 2017 (6:00 PM IST).
The complete application form is divided into 2 parts:
- Part I Registration
- The part I registration for UPSC IAS exam 2017 mainly comprises of candidate’s personal information such as Name, Father’s Name, Candidate’s educational details, Address for Correspondence, Previous attempts at UPSC IAS exam etc.
- In order to begin the part I of UPSC IAS exam registration, candidates have to follow the link https://upsconline.nic.in/mainmenu2.php and click on the link below the column “Part I registration”. A set of instructions will be declared on the screen, upon reading that, the candidate has to click on the “Yes button” below the screen. This will take you to the registration form for UPSC IAS exam.
- Fill in the corresponding fields and click on “Continue” to proceed further. At the next step, the candidate will be asked to claim age relaxation (if applicable). Click on the “Continue” button to proceed further.
- At this stage, the candidate will be asked to fill in his/her graduation details such percentage scored/CGPA, previous attempts at UPSC IAS exam and details regarding UPSC IAS main exam and Indian Forest Service Exam. After entering the requisite details, click on the “Continue” button to move further.
- After going through all the above steps, the candidates will be presented with a declaration box. After checking the check box, the candidates now have to press the “Submit” button to initiate submission of Part I of the form.
- Part II Registration
- The part II of the registration process has mainly 3 steps – Application fee payment (if any), Documents uploading and choosing the exam center for the same.
- Candidates paying through the “cash mode” have to enter the transaction ID, as provided by the bank, in Part II of the UPSC IAS exam application form to complete the registration process.
Remember, it’s not required of the candidates to send anything to the UPSC office under any circumstances.
The admit cards for UPSC IAS exam 2017 Preliminary will be published on the UPSC official website.
Familiar: Read and apply for SBI PO Recruitment 2017.
UPSC IAS Preliminary exam 2017 will have two papers of 2 hours each, both of which will bear questions relating to general studies. Each of the paper will carry a total of 200 marks.
|Paper – 1||200||2 hours.|
|Paper – 2||200||2 hours.|
For each wrong answer, a candidate will lose 1/3rd of the marks carried by the question. All the questions in both the papers will be MCQ type.
The results of UPSC IAS exam pre exam will be published by August 2017 (guessed).
|UPSC IAS exam application portal||22nd February – 17th March 2017 (6:00 PM)|
|Paying through SBI bank Challan||16th March (12:00 AM)|
|Admit Cards||Not Declared.|
|UPSC IAS Preliminary exam date||18thJune 2017|
|Result||August 2017 (Not declared)|
|UPSC Official Website||www.upsc.gov.in|
|UPSC IAS exam application portal||https://upsconline.nic.in/mainmenu2.php|
|UPSC IAS exam application procedure||https://upsconline.nic.in/download1.php?type=ne&file=INSTR_CSP2017.pdf|
|UPSC IAS exam official brochure||https://upsconline.nic.in/download1.php?type=ne&file=CSP2017-E.pdf
|IFS official brochure||https://upsconline.nic.in/download1.php?type=ne&file=IFS2017-E.pdf
Please like, share and follow us on Facebook for future updates. You can also comment in the comment section below.
The post Civil Services Exam (CSE) – 2017 (Preliminary) appeared first on EduPadhai.