Information to Quit Smoking
- Smoking causes more deaths from heart attack than it does deaths from any other disease , including chronic bronchitis and lung cancer.
- People who smoke cigarettes have two to three times greater risk of fatal heart attack than non smokers. The risk rises in parallel with the numbers of cigarettes smoked.
- Men under the age of 45 who smoke 25 or more cigarettes a day have a ten to fifteen times greater chance of death from heart attack than non smokers.
- In the developed countries such as Britain , one third if men die before they reach 65 , most from smoking related diseases. That means one third of all married women are widows before they can enjoy retirement with their husbands.
- About 40% of all heavy smokers die before they reach 65. Of the 60% still alive then , many are disabled by bronchitis, angina , heart failure , or because of leg amputations – all because of their smoking habit. Only 10% survive in reasonable health to the age of 75. Most non smokers reach 75 in good health.
- Smoking takes a terrible toll in other ways than heart attacks, in Britain , 40% of all cancer deaths in men are due to lung cancer. It is very rare non smokers of 411 British male doctors who died from lung cancers , only seven had never smoked. Only one non smoker in 60 develops lung cancer, the figure for heavy smokers is one in six.
- Other cancers more common in smokers than in non smokers include tumors of the tongue, throat , larynx , pancreas , kidney, bladder and cervix. About one third of all cancers are caused directly by smoking.
This post first appeared on Health Tips|Diabetic Info|Cholesterol Info|quit Smoking, please read the originial post: here