With Easter just around the corner I thought it was about time to start some Easter baking!
I am a HUGE fan of Hot Cross Buns but most of the time they make me feel ridiculously sick. There’s something about the sugar and yeast content that just doesn’t work well for me.
This week I popped into Sol Breads Café in Fortitude Valley and was delighted to come across some easy-gest Hot Cross buns. I was so happy to find a hot cross bun that I could actually eat without feeling sick.
Since my visit, I have been inspired to recreate my own version. I am a lazy baker so I decided to come up with a recipe that was quick, easy and didn’t require a visit to the shop to stock up on ingredients.
So, without further ado, I present you with the newest Vics n Mortar creation: My Easy Peasy Yeast-Free Hot Cross Buns.
They may not look pretty… but boy do they taste good!
2.5 cups flour
5.5 teaspoons of baking powder
pinch of salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
60 g butter (melted)
¼ cup stevia
5 dates, chopped
¼ cup of sultanas
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients into bowl.
- Add in butter, stevia, egg and milk gradually to form a dough.
- Knead lightly, and shape into 9 round buns.
- Bake for 15 minutes in square baking tray.
- Remove from oven, brush lightly with rice malt syrup and add the crosses with an icing tube. (To make crosses, mix ¼ cup flour and half a cup water.)
- Continue baking for approx. 20 mins until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with a lashing of butter and hot tea!
– Victoria x
The post My (Easy Peasy) Yeast-Free Hot Cross Buns appeared first on Vics 'n' Mortar.