Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu is a traditional dish from Tamil Nadu made with shallots and in a tamarind base. There are different recipes or ingredients add to the basic recipe that gives the specific flavour to the final dish.
Tamarind is the main ingredient for the tangy taste in this gravy. Of course we add tomatoes as well. The final taste changes as per the vegetable added to it. Shallots are a main ingredient and many times just shallot is used in more quantity.
When we use more of Manathakkali in the same gravy, it is called Manathakkali Puli Kuzhambu. Manathakkali is called as ‘black night shade’, ‘sunberry’ and ‘wonder cherry’ with the botanical name is Solanum nigrum. These are used as dried berries in gravies.
In today’s gravy, we have just added 1 tsp of it, while the gravy with this as main would use more. This gravy stays good and normally we preserve it for a couple of days. Raw Banana Stir saute is a good combination for this gravy and you can always serve appalam as well.
This is the second day in Simple everyday lunch meals. On SYL, check what’s shared today!
Week 1 – Platters for Elders
Indo Chinese Platter for Day 1
Idli Platter for Day 2
Pakoda Platter for Day 3
Colourful Rangoli Food Thali for Day 4
Week 2 – Thalis featuring Non Veg Regional Cuisines – Non Veg Thali
Chicken Donne Biryani – Non Veg Thali 1 for Day 1
Raju gari Kodi Pulao – Non Veg Thali 2 for Day 2
Mutton Biryani – Non Veg Thali 3 for Day 3
Mutton Dum Biryani – Non Veg Thali 4 for Day 4
Fish Curry – Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 5
Prawns Curry – Non Veg Thali 5 for Day 6
Week 3 – Thalis featuring Indian Flatbreads
Banarasi Kachori aur Sabzi Thali for Day 1
Bengali Dhakai Paratha Nasta Thali for Day 2
Bihari Chana Dal Puri aur Sabji Nasta Thali for Day 3
Gujarati Dhebra aur Sabzi Thali for Day 4
Punjabi Amritsari Kulcha Thali for Day 5
Rajasthani Tikkar aur Sabzi Thali for Day 6
Week 4 – Thalis featuring Breakfast from different Indian States
Goan Breakfast Thali for Day 1
Coorg Breakfast Thali for Day 2
Kerala Breakfast Thali for Day 3
Odia Breakfast Thali for Day 4
Punjabi Breakfast Thali for Day 5
No Rice Tamil Nadu Breakfast Thali for Day 6
Week 5 – Simple every day assembled mini thalis
Aviyal for Day 1
PIN This for Later!
Ingredients Used to make Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu
The shallots tastes wonderful in this tangy gravy. Always roast the berries and remove as it is added finally and cooked for just few minutes. Else it will turn bitter.
This berry is very healthy and its leaves are also used in cooking.
Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Manathakali
- 10 nos Shallots / Small Onions
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 4 to 5 nos Dry Red Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 medium Tomatoes approx 1 cup chopped
- 6 to 7 nos Garlic
- 1 big Tamarind Extract 1 big lemon size
- 1.5 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 cup Cashew paste
- Water as required
- Wash and peel the small onions, chopped into pieces.
- Soak the tamarind and extract thick pulp.
- Heat a pan with oil, saute the manathakkali and when it is fried for a couple of minutes, removed and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Next add the cumin, urad dal, mustard, dry chilies, methi seeds, small onions. Saute well till the onion is done.
- Then add the chopped tomato, garlic and fry again. Cook till the tomato is mushy.
- Add tamarind extract and salt to taste. Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Now add red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder. Combine again and add water.
- Bring it to a boil. After 5 mins, add cashew paste, combine and bring to a boil.
- When the gravy is almost done, add roasted manathakali.
- Simmer for 2 minutes and switch off.
- Serve with hot steamed rice and ghee.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#116
The post Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu appeared first on Cooking 4 all Seasons.