The thrill of pregnancy with expectation of a new life coming to world cannot be explained. However, studies show that one in five pregnancies end up in shocking Miscarriage which not only causes health issues but also leaves emotional scar on the couple. While some causes of miscarriage are genetic abnormalities, other causes can be prevented with a little more care and consciousness.
Below are a few reasons of miscarriage:
- Uncontrolled diabetes or unattended thyroid problem; Pregnant mother with diabetes or thyroid issues need to remain in constant Medical supervision.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS); Women with PCOS have insulin resistance which hinders the maturity of endometrial lining causing miscarriage.
- Bacterial infection; Infections causes the inflammation of endometrium which does not allow the embryo to grow.
- Lifestyle factors; Women who drink alcohol, smoke cigarette, or uses drugs have increased chances of miscarriage.
- Immunological disorders: Development of antibodies that attack one’s own tissue are responsible for miscarriage in many cases where the embryo tissues are attached.
How to prevent miscarriage?
Miscarriage which is also known as spontaneous abortion can be prevented with timely medical intervention and a few preventive measures by the pregnant woman.
- Get screened for infection: Ask your doctor to perform tests for any kind of bacterial infection or sexually transmitted infection.
- Take folic acid seriously: If you are planning for conceive, start Folic Acid and continue till at least first trimester. However, folic acid two or three months before pregnancy till the end of nine months is good to go with.
- Avoid alcohol, drugs, and tobacco: Do not smoke and avoid drugs and alcohol. It is not only dangerous for the fetus, but also can cause miscarriage.
- Do not self-medicate: Avoid taking medicines on your own. Even for minor problems like cough, fever, or pains, do not forget to seek the advice of a medical practitioner.
- Exercise moderately: Exercising is good, but do not strain your body. Any kind of exertion should be avoided. The best way to keep fit is to do mild yoga and meditation.
- Avoid stress: Mental stress is also a major cause of miscarriage. Do not be negative and avoid other life circumstances that gives you stress.
- Be up to date on immunizations: Make sure you are getting all the vaccinations on time.
- Stay in medical supervision: If you have any specific medical issue like diabetes, thyroid problem, bleeding or spotting, then you must remain in medical supervision.
Following all these guidelines to prevent miscarriage can help women a lot. However, if you witness any miscarriage symptoms like bleeding, abdominal cramps, fever, and back pain, then you must see a gynaecologist as soon as possible. Try to remain positive and enjoy your pregnancy days as a positive attitude also helps in strengthening the pregnancy period.