Eldercare Planning is a tough topic that most couples avoid. The thought of losing their independence and then later, their life together, can create feelings of fear and loss. As difficult as it is to consider, the earlier you discuss your Eldercare expectations with your spouse, the easier it will be to implement a successful plan for care. With this in mind, we’ve created the ‘couple’s guide to Eldercare Planning.’ So, have courage and tackle eldercare planning together, with David York Agency by your side.
David York Agency’s Guide to Eldercare Planning
Once you are ready to discuss an eldercare plan with your spouse, be sure to schedule plenty of time to discuss all aspects of your future. Using a checklist can help you ensure that nothing is forgotten. David York Agency has published a comprehensive checklist to help in this task.
Take the time to research and discuss all the options, and compare notes. David York Agency has also published a wonderful workbook just for this purpose. You can access it here and print out as many as you need. Please note that your spouse will need a separate eldercare plan.
Below, you’ll find a list of important topics you’ll need to visit when you begin planning for eldercare:
- Professionals List. Gather the contact information for your doctors, accountant, and other trusted professionals.
- Important Documents. Gather essential documents such as your birth certificate, social security card, and insurance cards.
- Financial Assets List. Pull together all the information on valuable possessions like vehicles and property.
- Estate Planning Documents. If you have yet to do so, discuss creating a will and a living will. Determine how you want to spend the final years of your lives. For example, if you want to stay at home for as long as possible, consider utilizing an agency that can provide in-home care.
- End of Life Arrangements. Discuss burial plans and options for the widowed spouse.
Early eldercare planning will bring confidence and security to both you and your partner. Each of you will be able to make decisions on the other’s behalf, knowing that you’ve already determined how your spouse would handle any given situation.
For more information about David York Agency’s qualified, compassionate caregivers, please contact us at 718.376.7755. If you’d like to hear more from us, please like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter, Google+, or LinkedIn.
The post A Couple’s Guide to Eldercare Planning appeared first on David York Agency Home Healthcare.
This post first appeared on David York Agency - Home Healthcare Providing Healthcare Professionals To The Elderly And Infirm, With The Highest Degree Of Personal Service., please read the originial post: here