The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that in 2014, over 29 million Older Adults experienced falls in the United States. Of those falls, seven million reported injuries. It is important for older adults and their families to take precautions to prevent Fall and avoid injuries. The following are the top 10 ways to prevent falls in older adults:
- Regular exercise. Exercise like yoga and tai chi can help improve balance while weight-bearing exercises can improve strength. If balance and strength are an issue, your provider may recommend physical therapy.
- Move slowly. Change positions slowly, allowing time in between each position change to prevent dizziness. Also, pausing before going up or down stairs is beneficial in preventing falls.
- Seek medical care for dizziness. Dizziness may be the cause of an underlying medical condition and should be worked up by your provider.
- Review your medications. Have your provider or pharmacist review certain medications that may make you dizzy or drowsy.
There are also environmental causes to consider….
- Avoid clutter. Avoiding clutter in rooms, especially cluttered floors. This is one of the easiest methods for preventing falls.
- Be sure your home is well-lit. Inadequate lighting is a major risk factor for falls. Be sure that narrow hallways, stairs, and bathrooms are well-lit at all times.
- Install grab bars. Installing grab bars near your shower, tub, and toilet can provide additional support to avoid falls in the bathroom.
- Use a non-skid bath mat. Using a non-skid bath mat in your shower or tub can prevent falls while the surface is slippery.
- Wear rubber-soled shoes. Shoes with rubber soles allow for comfort and safety by preventing slipping on slick surfaces.
- Avoid loose clothing. Clothing that drags on the floor or bunches during walking poses a serious risk for falls.
David York Agency has added a new service where a Certified Aging In Place Specialist that can assess your home environment, make safety recommendations, and manage any work that needs to be done from start to finish. If you have any questions or would like more information on ways to prevent fall please contact us today.
Here is a checklist you might find handy –
For more information about David York Agency’s qualified, compassionate caregivers, contact us at 718.376.7755. A free phone consultation can help you decide what services might be best to provide you and your loved one with the assistance they need. If you’d like to hear more from us, please like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter, Google+, or LinkedIn.
The post The Top 10 Ways to Prevent Falls in Older Adults appeared first on David York Agency Home Healthcare.
This post first appeared on David York Agency - Home Healthcare Providing Healthcare Professionals To The Elderly And Infirm, With The Highest Degree Of Personal Service., please read the originial post: here