What we eat at night decides the quality of our Sleep, cell rejuvenation and our stomach health next morning.
Remember, the times you wake up to acid reflux or you have troubling sleeping because of an irritant stomach. Or, worse you are depositing more fat around your stomach.
Why eating right before bedtime is important?
- Better sleep quality
- High sugar content disturbs your sleep
- Too much acid in food, causes incessant acidity the next day
- Fatty processed food gets stored in the body
Foods to avoid at night
- Sodas: It doesn’t get much more acidic than soda. The acid damages the valve connecting the esophagus to the stomach. Plus, carbonation increases stomach pressure.
- Alcohol: It relaxes the valves that connect the stomach and esophagus. When this happens, the body is unable to keep food where it belongs. Besides, it disrupts your sleep pattern.
- Heavy meals: Burgers, pizza, too many stuffed naans gets your digestive tract working hard. Leading to a queasy stomach and vulnerability to weight gain.
- Curd and High fat milk: As per ayurveda, they increrase the mucus levels. But, you can drink some buttermilk. Or, boiled, low fat milk with a little ginger or cardamom. As these reduce mucus generation.
- Citrus fruits or juices: The human body is alkaline in nature. And don’t feed it with acid before sleeping. As the digestive system is still working and there is no time for the body’s natural healing to take place.
- High sugar and caffeine: Too much sugar or caffeine keeps you awake at night. The spike in your blood-sugar levels could cause your energy levels to spike and plummet. Thus, disrupting your sleep.
- Red meat and other proteins: It ‘s hard for you to fall asleep while you’re digesting. Also there is big chance of storing all that protein as adipose (fat).
- Very spicy food: Spices are a natural cure for many ailments. But, before sleep, it’s an invitation to stomach-heart burn.
Every person’s digestive power is different. And, when we eat the disruptive foods at night regularly, it is harmful for the body and mind. Moderation is needed. Besides, you want to sleep well and wake up fresh and light. So, your tomorrow morning depends on what you binge on tonight.
The post Foods to avoid at night appeared first on Total Yoga is a Yoga style pivoted on Fitness Mindfulness!.