Your Digestive process can be as individual as your personality. Your lifestyle, eating habits influence your digestion. Depending on your individual digestive factors, the entire digestive process from eating Food to excreting it via your stool can take anywhere between 24 and 72 hours.
Organize your meal for proper digestion
A well ordered meal allows your digestive system to handle digestion more smoothly, with less time and more absorption of nutrients. A well ordered Meal is one in which you introduce different foods systematically.
You should start by introducing the easiest or quickest to digest foods first and work your way up to the more complex. By doing this you keep foods that digest more easily flowing through your digestive system and prevent a “food traffic jam”.
Denser and less liquid foods are harder to digest and take longer to pass completely through the digestive system. Therefore you should consume foods in each meal in an orderly fashion. Here is the list of fastest to longest foods to digest:
- Juices and Water: 20-30 minutes
- Soups, Fruits, or Smoothies: 30-45 minutes
- Vegetables: 30-45 minutes
- Grains, Starches: 2-3 hours
- Beans, Poultry, Meat, or Fish: 3 or more hours
Think of your digestive system as a highway; if the slower vehicles are allowed to go first, the result will be a traffic jam.
Tips for Better Digestion
To keep food moving smoothly through your digestive system and prevent issues like diarrhea and constipation, try these tips:
- Eat more greens, fruit, and whole grain
- Limit processed foods and red meat
- Add probiotics to your diet
- Do not consume water with your meal or after your meal. As the digestive chemicals are flushed out. Though, you can sip half cup of hot water slowly.
- Exercise daily
- Sleep well
We have made things more complicated. But they are simple!
The post Organize your meals for proper digestion appeared first on Total Yoga is a Yoga style pivoted on Fitness Mindfulness!.