Certain studies suggest that consuming one serving a day of pulses (beans, chickpeas, peas, or lentils) can aid in gradual weight loss. Pulses are versatile foods, so incorporating them into your daily meals should be simple. You can cook them plain and mix them with olive oil and fresh herbs for an uncomplicated side dish, or toss them into a Healthy Vegetarian Bean stew recipe for a heartier main dish.
Healthy vegetarian bean stew recipe (on toast) (serves 4)
This healthy Vegetarian Bean Stew can be prepared either loose or thick. The thickened version is similar to a condiment that you can eat on top of toast; try it with a crusty sourdough!
Feel free to make this stew with any additional vegetables that you please as well. Leeks, fennel, and parsnips would all be nice choices. In terms of weight loss and overall nutrition, the more vegetables (and pulses!) that you can consume, the better!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green cabbage
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 14-ounce can white kidney beans
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven, set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and spices to the pot and cook for an additional minute, until the spices are fragrant.
- Pour in the stock. Add the beans to the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes until the stew has thickened and taken on a slightly creamy consistency. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Note: If you would like a thicker version of this stew, continue simmering it until most of the liquid has reduced, about 45 minutes. Serve the creamy bean mixture atop toast for a hearty and satisfying breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Would you try this healthy vegetarian bean stew recipe? Find all of our pain-friendly recipes here!
The post Healthy Vegetarian Bean Stew Recipe appeared first on Pain Doctor.