Scarsdale Medical Diet (DMS) is a plan to lose weight quickly and this promises about 9 kilograms of weight loss in 14 days as it is characterized by abundant protein intake. It is considered one of the pioneers in the thinning phases and stages. It was created by Doctor Herman Tarnower in New York in 50s and even today there are many individuals who claim to have lost weight with it.
The Scarsdale Diet is divided into two phases. The first phase is called ‘Strict’ and lasts for 14 days and at this stage the most weight loss occurs. The dieter can only ingest between 850 and 1000 calories. The foods consumed in these early days are very strict. The second stage is called the ‘Maintenance Phase’. As the name suggests, it is aimed at keeping the weight and more Food can be consumed. Calories can potentially increase up to 1400.
What is the secret of this diet?
Like other eating plans, Scarsdale indicates that you have to consume certain foods at certain times of the day and under no circumstances you can break the rules. The basic rules are as follows;
The Foods You Can Eat
You can have lean meat, milk and derivatives without fat, eggs, green leafy vegetables, carrots, raw salad, canned tuna or zero and light refreshments and tea.
You are not allowed to consume all those foods high in saturated fat, trans fat, sugar and some carbohydrates such as pasta, potatoes and sweet potatoes, rice, chocolate, bakery, cakes, peanut butter, milk with fat, red meat, fats, alcohol, oil, mayonnaise, salad dressing and sauces as they can add extra calories in diet.
It prohibits packaged snacks.
Risks of Scarsdale Diet
Like any other fast diet, Scarsdale has serious health risks mentioned below;
- This is an unbalanced diet. The right thing is to eat everything in small amounts and, at best, avoid some foods rich in sugar or limit consumption of saturated fats.
- Limit your intake of essential nutrients like carbohydrates and grains which can cause long term damage to the kidneys.
- It is a very low calorie diet. An average adult needs between 2000 and 2500 calories to perform daily activities, so it may produce weakness, fatigue and poor performance.
These are foods recommended in Scarsdale Diet for a week which should be consumed within 14 days of the diet and you should not change any food or combination. I recommend consulting with a nutritionist to assess health status before starting this diet.
Breakfast (for 14 days)
- 1/2 grapefruit or other fruit in season
- 1 slice of bread
- Coffee or tea without sugar and milk
- In lunch, assorted lean cuts (avoid processed as salami or pepperoni) with sliced grilled or boiled tomatoes simmer and coffee tea or a diet soda.
- In dinner, fish or seafood, mixed salad, 1 slice of bread and seasonal fruit
- In lunch, fruit salad with coffee or tea
- In dinner, grilled lean burger, tomatoes, lettuce, celery, olives, brussels sprouts or cucumber with coffee or tea.
- In lunch, tuna or salmon in well drained oil or water flavored with lemon or vinegar, 1 grapefruit, melon or other seasonal fruit with coffee or tea
- In dinner, defatted lamb meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery and coffee or tea
- In lunch, 2 eggs any way you want, low fat yogurt, zucchini, green beans or sliced simmered tomatoes, 1 slice of toasted bread and coffee or tea
- In dinner, grilled chicken with spinach, bell peppers, green beans cooked or raw and coffee or tea
- In lunch, assorted sliced cheese, spinach, 1 slice of toasted bread and coffee/tea
- In dinner, fish or seafood, mixed salad, 1 slice of bread and coffee/tea
- In lunch, fruit salad the amount you want with coffee/tea
- In dinner, turkey or grilled chicken, tomato and lettuce, 1 grapefruit or seasonal fruit and coffee/tea
- In lunch, turkey or chicken, tomatoes, carrots, cooked cauliflower or broccoli
- In dinner, grilled lean meat, salad of lettuce, cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, sprouts and coffee/tea
The same menu for breakfast will be followed for 14 days while menu for rest of the days will be repeated.
If you have followed Scarsdale Medical Diet earlier and if it didn’t prove to be good enough for you, there is another option for you known as Venus Factor. If you need more info about this program, it is recommended to see the Venus Factor review before you get the program.