What Is Antenatal Pilates, And Is It For Me?
Antenatal Pilates is Pilates classes specifically designed for individuals during and after pregnancy. Both Pre- and Post-Natal Pilates follow the same concepts and principles of traditional Pilates, but include modified exercises to ensure they are safe and effective for expectant and new Mums. Antenatal Pilates strengthens the entire body, focusing on the core and pelvic floor, specifically for expectant and new Mums.
If you are expecting and are having an uncomplicated pregnancy, then Pilates may be for you. If you have complications, please check with your midwife or GP first.
What Pilates Benefits Can I Expect During Pregnancy?
Pilates will help strengthen your core, back and pelvic floor, In addition, you may achieve the following benefits:
- Improved breathing control throughout pregnancy and labour.
- Reduced back pain from postural changes.
- Stronger muscles to aid lifting and bending once the baby is born.
- Improved balance.
- Improved relaxation.
- Improved mobility of joints.
- Improved labour due to increased strength of the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor.
- Improved self-esteem & confidence.
- Improved well-being.
- Improved body awareness.
I’ve Just Had my Baby, How Soon Can I Return to Pilates?
Congratulations! It is important not to rush this process as you will end up delaying the recovery in the long-term. Always check with your GP and midwife first. Generally, if you had an…uncomplicated vaginal birth you can return to gentle post-natal specific exercise after your post-natal check up, usually around 6-8 weeks post-birth. If you had a C-section the wait is a little longer ranging from 8-12 weeks and sometimes longer depending on the nature of your labour and birth.
What Pilates Benefits can I Expect After My Pregnancy?
- Safe recovery of vulnerable, weakened and strained abdominal and pelvic floor muscles helping you return to normal.
- Stress management and minimising the onset of post-natal depression.
- Improved well-being.
- Improved Confidence.
- Improved Diastasis recti.
- The benefits of social interaction with other new Mums.
How do I book?
The Antenatal Pilates classes will run every Monday at You Massage Therapy, Southampton with our expert instructor, Catherine Hume. Each class will have a maximum of 6 participants to ensure optimum supervision and a safe and effective class for everyone. Booking is essential due to limited places. Please call our receptionist on 023 8063 9747 who will be happy to arrange this for you. Alternatively, you can book online.
- Pre-Natal Pilates: Mondays at 14:15 to 15:15
- Post-Natal Pilates: Mondays at 15:30 to 16:30
Article written by Catherine Hume, Pilates Instructor at YOU Massage Therapy, Southampton. Edited by YOU Massage Therapy.