Prostatectomy is a surgical procedure to remove a part or complete Prostate Gland
. Prostate gland is a male gland situated in the pelvis under the urinary bladder. Prostatectomy
is performed when there is a problem or complication arising in the prostate gland. According to the best urology hospitals in Delhi
the most common conditions when a prostatectomy is performed is in case of a prostate cancer or when the gland enlarges.
The best urology doctors in Delhi reported that there are different types of approaches for a prostatectomy procedures depending upon the type of removal and what problem has to be treated. For instance, in case of a prostate cancer, the procedure used to perform the prostatectomy is called radical prostatectomy. Radical prostatectomy is performed to remove the complete prostate gland. It can be performed in the following ways:
● Robot-assisted radical prostatectomy – the surgery is performed by some incisions through with the device is inserted. The doctor performs the procedure using a console to operate the machine.
● Open radical prostatectomy – the traditional open radical prostatectomy method of a large incision in the lower abdomen to remove the prostate gland.
● Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy - though, not completely device operated, laparoscopic radical prostatectomy uses small incisions in the lower abdomen to remove the prostate gland.
On the other hand, in case of an enlarged prostate a simple prostatectomy procedure is recommended by the best urologists in Delhi NCR. It is performed when the prostate gland swells and enlarges beyond limit and has to be operated immediately to relieve the symptoms.
Some of the common symptoms experienced by the patients who are recommeneded prostatectomy are,
● A frequent and urgent need to urinate.
● Difficulty in starting urination
● Slow urination
● Increased urinating tendency at night
● The feeling of a filled bladder
● Urinary tract infections
● Inability to urinate
Though, there are various new methods and technology to perform the prostatectomy it is not free from risks. Simple prostatectomy has higher risk of complications than radical prostatectomy but we have some of the best urologists in India that are highly experienced to perform the procedure. These risks involve-
● Urinary tract infection
● Urinary incontinence
● Erectile dysfunction
● Injury to rectum
● Narrowing of urethra
● Formation of cysts
The doctors use advanced technology machinery to avoid any complications that may arise due to the surgery. They may ask you to stop the use of certain medications that you take on a daily basis in order to help reduce the consequences.
After the surgery, the patient is kept in the hospital for a few days so his or her vitals could be checked. Once he or she is discharged, they have to maintain regular visits to the hospital so that the doctor could make sure that the recovery is successful.
The patient is assigned an advanced care plan that consists all the necessary details on post-surgery recovery. It is the duty of the patient and his or her family to look after the patients health and report the doctor about the ongoing progress or complications that may arise.