Onions have this strong pungent smell and bring tears to the eyes when cutting it , but there is no doubt that they are filled with lots of nutrients and health benefits. They are member of the Allium family which includes, garlic, leeks,chives. Onions are rich in sulfur containing compounds, which give it the strong pungent smell and is responsible for the nutrients in onions that promote good health.
Onions are rich in vitamin C,vitamin B,
potassium,and folic acid and they are a good source of dietary fiber. One onion a day helps you stay away from infections and diseases. They are also a good source of Flavonoids and Phytochemicals.
Onions can be eaten raw or cooked. The raw onions provide the highest levels of organic sulfur compounds which is responsible for its many health benefits.
Most of the high concentration of Flavonoids in Onions can be found in its outer layers, so care should be taken to avoid peeling off all the nutrients.
Onions comes in various sizes, colors and flavors. The most common types are the red, yellow,and the white onions.
- Onions helps to lower the blood pressure thereby cutting the risk of heart attacks
- Onions is an Anti-inflammatory agent which can help people with Arthritis of the joints
- Onions strengthens the immune system, thereby protecting the body against free radicals that destroy the cells
- The fiber in Onions Aids good digestion
- The Sulfur in Onions helps to lower the blood sugar level in the body
- The Antioxidants in Onions can protect you against some forms of cancer which includes,prostrate cancer, ovarian cancer, colorectal and gastric cancer
- The folate found in Onions helps with depression, it improves your mood, sleep and appetite
To incorporate Onions in your diet, look for those that are dry,firm and have smooth skin,with little or no odor before you peel it. Onions can be roasted, grilled, sauteed.They can also be an addition to salads and sandwich or eaten raw. One onion a day goes along way to keep you healthy.