Carrots belong to the umbelliferae family,others in that family include fennel, caraway, parsley and dill. Carrots can be found in a host of colors like white, yellow, red, purple and the most common orange. The nutrients in carrots may provide protection against heart disease, and cancer and also help you build strong bones and healthy nervous system.
Carrot are among the popular root vegetables, notably rich in heart benefiting compounds like beta-carotene, minerals,antioxidants,and falcarinol, a component that may stimulate cancer fighting mechanisms. Consuming carrots has been associated with a lower risk of heart attacks in women.Carrots is rich in beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A and transformed in the retina to rhodopsin, a purple pigment necessary for night vision.
Carrots promotes healthier skin. it helps protect you from skin,lung,and oral cavity cancer.
Health Benefits of Carrots
- Carrots can reduce the risk of lung cancer, breast cancer, and colon cancer
- The beta-carotene acts as an antioxidants to cell damage done to the body through regular metabolism, this helps slows done the aging of cells.
- The vitamin A and antioxidants in carrots helps protects the skin from sun damage
- Carrots are known to prevent infection and boost immunity level
- The fiber in carrots help clean out the colon and aid waste movement
- Carrots helps clean the teeth and mouth . it stimulates the gums and trigger a lot of saliva which balance out the acid forming, cavity-forming bacteria.The minerals in carrots prevent tooth damage.
- Studies have shown that people who eat more than six carrots a week, are less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate only one carrot a month or less.
- The antioxidants and phytochemical in carrots, can help with blood sugar regulation
- Carrots contain high level of soluble fiber largely from pectin, which helps in lowering the cholesterol level
- Regular eating of Carrots helps improve memory
- Eating one carrot per day reduce the risk of Stroke by 68%.
Cooking Carrots may help to boost their Antioxidants levels and overall nutritional value.