In our hectic lifestyle in the contemporary world, our Workplace often becomes the source of a lot of pressure and workload. On the occasion of World Mental Health Day celebrated on 10th October, this year the focus is on the significance of mental health and well-being within an organizational setting. It is evident to note the ever-increasing levels of stress stemming from our workplace in today’s scenario.
With the changing lifestyles, increasing competitive nature of the corporate setups, higher stakes involved, it is not unexpected for many of us to have increasingly rising ambitions and desires for our career. However, such aspirations inherently bring with them its own set of stresses and challenges as a part and parcel of our daily lives. Therefore, it becomes necessary for us to spare some time to recall the various factors commonly leading to stress at our workplace settings, and techniques of overcoming the same. We need to learn to maintain a balance, not letting our work stress permeate into our personal lives and vice versa.
Tips for Maintaining Psychological Well-being at the Workplace
The following are some of the points which could be kept in mind to maintain our psychological well-being and improve mental health at the workplace and in organizational settings:
1. Create a balance. Effective time management is the key to staying mentally healthy. Make it a point to disconnect from work on the weekends. It is important to set realistic goals, prioritize tasks and maintain a balance between demands of work, family as well as personal life. This is important to ensure a stress free life both at home as well as at work.
2. Establish strong support systems at work. A lack of social support could serve as a major source of stress at the workplace. Enjoy some time with your colleagues outside the office environment as well. Make an extra effort to build relationships, and they shall inevitably be a good return for your investment.
3. Adopt healthy lifestyle choices. A disciplined and healthy lifestyle is very beneficial in maintaining mental health. An adequate sleep, a proper diet, and regular physical exercise would help us stay physically as well as mentally fit. This becomes especially more important when one is caught up in a busy schedule, so do not forget to take out time to take care of your health.
4. Avoid making comparisons. Instead of comparing notes with others, try to focus on your own performance. Despite of living in this competitive world, it is more beneficial to be focussed on your own work and efforts, rather than trying to succeed over others. Remember your own goals and targets, and be motivated towards it.
5. Prioritize well. There will inevitably be times when you have too many things to be done. Rather than getting flustered, reorder the priorities in your head, striking off the less important or urgent ones and focussing on the present instead. At times like this, it’s important to take a step back and introspect on the reasons of our actions and why we want to achieve what we’ve wanted to.
6. Simplify your approach. The workplace demon can often lead to a huge bundle of goals, which makes you want to pull out your hair. Try and focus on one thing at a time. Maintain clear boundaries, and work towards short term goals. De-clutter your work space, and try to keep it simple, neat and tidy. Simplicity in your work environment would prevent distractions, and would help keep you motivated to work.
7. Don’t forget to take out time for your self. It is important to allot a ‘me time’, allowing yourself to get refreshed. It is ok for you to have a “do nothing” in your to-do list. Listen to yourself, and take time out from work and family. Planning a short vacation could be one of the best ways to de-stress! It is important to keep aside some time for a recovery period along the way, to help replenish the energy being invested by you. This is not just a reward to give yourself for your efforts, but also a necessity for you to rejuvenate and take care of your own needs.
8. Enjoy yourself! While it is easy to get trapped in the vicious cycle of a hectic routine, it is more important to remember to enjoy yourself. Look for opportunities to laugh at, and humour is a great way to lighten the mood and relieve your stress levels. Being at work doesn’t mean you cannot have fun!