Coconut Oil Nutritional Value is the next on our nutritional Value posts series and i hope you learn something new.
Coconut oil , or copra oil , is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm ( Cocos nucifera ). It has various applications.
Nutritional Value of Scent Leaf
Over here in Nigeria even though coconut Oil Nutritional Value is not a common information, it is so widely used that the majority of us know how to make the Oil at home.
Because of its high saturated fat content, it is slow to oxidize and, thus, resistant to rancidification, lasting up to six months at 24 °C (75 °F) without spoiling.
Coconut oil has a saturated fat content of 90 percent.
The majority of saturated fats are the medium-chain triglycerides (MCT’s) of which Lauric Acid being the dominant fatty acid. It is this lauric acid which gives coconut oil its white cream color in its stable (solid) state.
So what is the Coconut Oil Nutritional Value?
According to Nutrition and you :
- Coconut oil is one of the most concentrated sources of energy; 100 g oil holds 884 calories.
- Being rich in saturated fats, it is one of the stable vegetable cooking oils featuring a very long shelf life. Its high smoke point temperature at 232 (450 F) degrees allows food items for deep frying.
- Its fatty acids profile, however, makes it as one of the most debated edible oils regarding health benefits. Coconut oil composes of saturated, mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids (SFA: MUFA: PUFA) at a ratio of 86.5: 5.8: 1.8 fats.
- A significant portion of its saturated fats, however, fall into the group of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT’s ranging from 6-12 carbon atoms). Chief MCT’s in this oil are lauric acid (C-12), capric acid (C-10), caprylic acid (C-8) and caproic acid (C-6). Together, they constitute about 68% of total saturated and 59% of the total fat content.
- Lauric acid, being a 12-carbon saturated fat, represents the major portion of MCTs. 100 g fresh coconut oil contains 44.6 g of lauric acid, constituting more than 45% of the total fat content.
- In the gut, lauric acid and other MCT’s absorbed directly into the bloodstream without any barriers and thus save energy and induce an early sense of satiety. Additionally, MCTs help increase blood HDL or good cholesterol levels in the blood.
Most people like charts when it comes to fact, so here we go.
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||100 g||500%|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g||0%|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0%|
|Vitamin E (tocopherol)||0.20 mg||1.4%|
|Vitamin K||0.5 µg|
|Iron||0.04 mg||0.5 %|
The post Coconut Oil Nutritional Value appeared first on Naturally Healthy Talk.